Firmware DV-180N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmware DV-180N

I just bought a Winait DV-180N 8mm and super 8 film scanner, it looks like a lot of similar devices on the net, such as the Wolverine Reels2Digital Moviemaker model. Website : http://www.winait.com/sdp/316052/4/p..._to_digit.html
    I don't know what the main circuit is used in this machine, there is a good chance that it is a Novatek, but I am not sure.

My first attempts to transfer Super 8 to MP4 highlight a significant addition of noise on the final film.

While searching the net, I found new firmware files modified by talented people to adjust the size and number of frames ([email protected] in particular).

I see that there are tools to make these modifications but before testing I would like to be sure that I am not going to block my device, is it possible to recover the current firmware to make a backup before manipulation?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Vincent.

Originally posted by vidalv View Post
    I just bought a Winait DV-180Nis it possible to recover the current firmware to make a backup before manipulation?
    Most likely you'll need to disassemble your device in order to get access to the flash memory chip. Then you can try to dump your stock firmware backup with a test clip and a flash programmer device.

Do you have a firmware for your scanner or similar one from Wolverine/reflecta?
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Hello Nutsey, sorry for the delay, so in the meantime I contacted the Chinese manufacturer Winait and asked him to provide me with the latest firmware. In their attachment response I received their latest Firmware to date.
      So I was able to test with Wolverine firmware and revert to the manufacturer's firmware if necessary.
      Vincent.

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Could you share these files?

I nutsey, sorry, yes you can download it here : http://retromania.pandelground.com/w...tal-moviemaker
      I don't know what's the source code for this binary files, ideally I want to understand if it's possible to modify it to adjust
      some parameter of the scanner machine, the most critical point is the compression type used introducing numeric noise
      on frames. If you have some ideas please let me know.
      Regards.
      Vincent.

Comment

the most critical point is the compression type used introducing numeric noise
        on frames. If you have some ideas please let me know.
        This hardware can use only AVC/H264 and MJPEG codecs. The first one is set by default and does not introduce any visible artefacts similar to noise when bitrate value is quite high (~20-24 megabits for 1080p30 video).

Comment

Hi Nutsey, thanks for the details, so it's clear with this hardware only mpeg4 usable but my actual frame rate is set to 16Mps can I increase it to 20-24 to see if the capture looks better ?
          On the site http://retromania.pandelground.com modified firmware bitrate is set to 16 for 1440X1080, can I found one with 20 or 24 or it's easy to build a new one using one of this ?
          Thanks.

Comment

Thanks nutsey, I'll check & feedback to you !
          BTW, is there a way to decompile .bin file to add/modify some actions or parameters then recompile it ?
          Regards.
          Vincent.

Comment

is there a way to decompile .bin file to add/modify some actions or parameters then recompile it ?
            It is possible to reverse binaries with futher patching. To recompile anything you'll have to get the SDK with full source code.

Comment

I tried the firmware: 1440x1080p24 with 24Mbps then after downloading to the machine I can no longer change any menus, each time I have on the screen: Please reconnect the power? !!?
              Then, I try to change the firmware with another, same problem .... When I turn on the machine, the screen is in black and white very dark, if I launch a scan the menu is in German it works but I no longer control anything ... Any idea?

Comment

Hello Nutsey, thanks for the files. In fact I do not know if it comes from the firmware files, as soon as I loaded the first the red led of the device to flash for a moment then at boot the white led for the scan does not light up any more as usual.
              I have menus but I cannot access them, always the same message "please connect the power supply" it is inconsistent.
              I can start the scan, the white LED then lights up and the scan begins, but no settings possible! I do not know if there is a protection or if the device is broken, as I no longer have the original firmware I asked the manufacturer I do not know if he will send it to me .
              If not I did tests see here: http://dl.free.fr/n76TwGXkW there are 6 tests tips with different firmware, with the two that you sent me I don't have the same flow, the 20MBPS gives (via Windows properties) 28358Kbps and the 24MBPS returns 24899Kbps.
              Thank you for your support.
              Vincent.

Comment

• nutsey
                nutsey commented
                Editing a comment
                The noise looks like high-ISO film grain. I would record with the highest bitrate (don't trust windows properties - use 24Mbps fw) and reduce it in post.

• Perepandel
                Perepandel commented
                Editing a comment
                I would add that it doesn't look like grain from the film. Every film I've seen scanned from this machine looks the same regarding grain amount, and that seems suspicious considering the vast variety of different films and that super8 resolution lies somewhere between FullHD and 2K, so my bet is that everything is being captured at much lower resolution and then interpolated to the final file resolution.

nutsey, do you know if that can be controlled via any kind of flag inside the firmware? May I ask you how did you find where the resolution setting was set inside the file?

Well, I'm back, I asked for the latest firmware to the manufacturer and it send the 2020 one here: http://dl.free.fr/g23qTEMtL
              I'd like to have a bit-rate of 24MBPS instead of 8MBPS actually, with the same resolution 1440X1080 and I would like to
              decrease the the number of frames per second to 24 and best to 18. How can I do that please ?

Thank you.

Vincent.
              Last edited by vidalv; 07-06-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Hiya! This is Pere, the one who uploaded the modified Wolverine firmware to Retromania.

I remember trying to push the firmware modification to the limit setting the bitrate to the theoretical max (24 mbps) and experiencing the behaviour vidalv is describing, so I started lowering it in a trial&error basis, finally seting it to 16 mbps. I didn't notice much significant improvement from the original bitrate (which I don't remembar what was anyway) although file size was much higher, so I concluded it wouldn't be worth trying to set it higher, in case that could be possible (as the machine was getting frozen).

Anyway, I'll try to flash my machine with the last version Vidalv got from Winait, to see if there's any improvement...

By the way, [email protected] , it would be great if you where able to resume your work with the Novatek tools and make it possible to tweak other parameters/flags...
                Last edited by Perepandel; 07-15-2020, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Hello Perepandel, I do not know for which application you will use this firmware, for my part it is to transfer Super 8 to MP4 video.
                  For your information, the basic parameters of the Winait firmware give a frame-rate of 8Mbps in High settings, moreover if you analyse the final file at the output of the scanner with MediInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) counts that the MP4 file is at 30 fps.
                  I tested several frame-rates with different firmwares, for my application I think that the best is to have 24Mbps.
                  If you manage to modify the frame-rate of the Winait FWDV180N-2020610-DN13P-EN firmware in 24Mbps I am interested because it is the most recent that I could get and it includes the Menu in several languages as well as corrections and improvements.
                  Thank you !
                  Vincent.

Comment

• Perepandel
                    Perepandel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I already told you on my previous message about the 24 mbps thing, vidalv. Didn't you read it??

Hi Pere,
                  I've just wrote you a message in your webpage at Retromania.
                  I repost them here because it might be useful for @[email protected] 🙄?

I really appreciate all your works guys, and I'm a newbie in regards to firmware and video compression, so maybe what I'm asking might not make sense:

- I've read somewhere that reducing sharpness settings on the Film Scanner improves a bit the compression effects. Would it be possible to reduce sharpness even further at Firmware level?
                  - Would It be possible to compare Somikon 20 FPS firmware to yours in order to identify which flags effectively affect FPS settings?
                  - I'm not really sure how video compression works, but if you are able to modify FPS, would it be possible to have a firmware with 16 mbps and 1 frame per second? Would that reduce compression as I understand it would have 16 mbps for just one frame? Then we can fix the frame rate easily after with a computer.

Hope this helps, and thanks for all your work, guys

Nico

PS: English is not my first language, so sorry for any mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                  X