Navcity NG100 Plus on Linux as webcam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navcity NG100 Plus on Linux as webcam

I've bought an actioncam called NG100 Plus from a brazilian brand called Navcity

I use Linux and I want to use it as a webcam. I've contact the support and they said
    it only works on Windows 7.

I've tried it but the problem is the same as I saw many people complaining, connect USB,
    select "PC webcam", It keep trying to connect and after 6~10 seconds the camera
    restart itself.

I search a lot on internet I found that other cameras actually works on Linux as webcam.

So I thought if I change or update the firmware it will fix.
    I don't know nothing about firmwares, chipsets, etc, so I found this forum

This is my camera:

PHOTOS
    Click image for larger version  Name:	navcity-ng100plus-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.0 KB ID:	18385
    Click image for larger version  Name:	navcity-ng100plus-02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	18386
    Click image for larger version  Name:	navcity-ng100plus-03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	18387
    Click image for larger version  Name:	navcity-ng100plus-04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	18388

FW INFO
    Code:
    SoC:
       Allwinner V3
    Product:
       crane-sdv
    Manufacturer:
       zrj
    FW date:
    Camera name:
       NG100PLUS
    Version:
    LCD model:
       g3029
    LCD resolution:
       320x240
    Sensor model:
       imx179
    FW BACKUP:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5mwi9bx5r...l_img.fex?dl=0

Now I have some questions:
    1. How do I know which chipset my camera has without disasembling it?
      1. I use the forum script to backup and extract FW INFO. It says Allwinner V3. Is this correct? I mean, this script only works for these chipsets? or it could work with other chipsets?
    2. Assuming my camera uses Allwinner V3, which firmwares are compatible with this camera?
    3. Do you know any firmware that works on Linux and allow me to use it as webcam?

PS: camera doesn't have WIFI

Thats it. My goal is to make it work on Linux as webcam.
    If you have any tips, I'll appreatiate.

Did you read thru this other thread? > https://www.goprawn.com/forum/allwin...untu#post14760

Be sure to use modern + recently manufactured computer, the latest version or edition of a Linux distribution (Ubuntu 20 for example), a good quality USB cable, use an externally powered USB hub and try both USB 2 and USB 3 ports on the computer in question. "Old" computers running Linux such as the one I described in post #4 in the other thread may cause problems.

Thanks for sharing your firmware. The firmware has capability to do wifi. Go to the big big thread of Allwinner cams https://www.goprawn.com/forum/allwin...action-cameras and look for firmware that matches your SENSOR and your LCD MODEL. Use Phoenixsuite or another tool to load firmware. Follow this video from TIME 13:50 but do not use any ADB software/functions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrTxFjIiHvc&t=830

Comment

I've bought an USB 2.0 hub, follow the other thread and got partially working with guvcview. I use this command on terminal:
    Code:
    $ guvcview -w 1 -f rgb3 --resolution=1280x720 --fps=30
    I also had to change the resolution and FPS in the camera. Executing this command I could see the camera's image on guvcview with colors but It was just static image, no video running.
    After ~6 seconds the camera restart itself.

I decided to try another firmware and now I screwed up my camera =/ It is not turning on, just black screen. Linux don't recognize the camera anymore (I think this happen because the camera is off).

This is how I update my firmware:
    1. Download an image similar to mine: Crane (xdv boot logo) 2017-03-17 (shows 1.2.221 / 20170325): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4t...ew?usp=sharing
      1. I take this image from the list thread (under IMX179 sensor)
    2. Place the image in the root of SD Card
    3. Restart the camera
    4. After boot it automatically recognize a new firmware and start to upgrade (It was a white screen with a red progress bar)
    5. After finish to upgrade, a white screen appears and stuck. I wait about 15 minutes and decided to turn the camera off.
    6. Now the camera is not powering on anymore =/
    I saw two videos about unbrick the camera but the scenario is different, the camera boots on white screen. and the OS recognizes the camera. In my case the camera does not power on.
    Besides that, I don't have access to Windows computer and the video tutorials were using Windows =/
    I don't know how to unbrick using Linux.

Comment

• murillofisher
      murillofisher commented
      Editing a comment
      Boa tarde Emanuel, e sou do brasil aconteceu o mesmo com minha câmera morreu não ligava,como eu trabalho com informatica e regravo eprons ou bios, eu abri minha câmera e localizei ci da bios dela removi e regravei com o backup original e ressoldei o mesmo ai ela deu sinal de vida ai vc faz o esquema de atualização via cartão sd com firmware original dela e volta ao normal.

Boa tarde Emanuel, e sou do brasil aconteceu o mesmo com minha câmera morreu não ligava, como eu trabalho com informatica e regravo eprons ou bios, eu abri minha câmera e localizei ci da bios dela removi e regravei com o backup original e ressoldei o mesmo ai ela deu sinal de vida ai vc faz o esquema de atualização via cartão sd com firmware original dela e volta ao normal.

Comment

Good afternoon Emanuel, and I am from Brazil the same happened to my camera died I didn't care, as I work with informatics and I write eprons or bios, I opened my camera and found her bios ci I removed and rewrote it with the original backup and resold the same then she gave a sign of life then you do the update scheme via sd card with her original firmware and back to normal.

Comment

• petesimon
        petesimon commented
        Editing a comment
        please write the same information but in two or more languages in the same single post. there's no need to make 2 or more posts ... ☺

Hello Emanuel,
      did you have any success unbricking your camera?

I'm having the same issue here, and I didn't even try to update my firmware. I just tried to plug my camera and it simply did not power on. Black screen on display, and windows does not recognize it.
      the blue led blinks just once when I try to power on.

When I try powering it on holding the + button, the blue led blinks twice, and windows recognizes something (usb plug sound on windows) but the camera does not work, and ADB still does not list the device.
      It shows on device manager as "USB Device(VID_1fa_PID_efe8)"

I have a second identical camera still working, and I have backed up the image, but I cannot record this image on bricked unit through adb, since device is not listed.

Can you share the videos you mentioned about "wintows tutorials"? I'm running windows, and I might try it in here.
      I really din't want to go through the dessoldering and soldering solution posted by Murilo.

Any ideas welcome.

Best regards,

Comment

Working...
    X