Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allwinner V3s hacks/mods

Allwinner V3S camera hacks/mods/etc

Since the V3 cams have their own thread the V3s cams should should too in my opinion.

This processor can do a maximum of 1080p @ 40 FPS, or 1080p @ 30FPS + VGA. Most of these cams advertise higher resolutions, which they achieve through firmware tricks (meaning they are nowhere near real 4K capable).

Stop. Back up your camera first!

This video is helpful and goes more indepth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhPxpFFMrc

Basic instruction for Windows:
    1. Plug camera into computer by USB with empty memory card in camera. Select "Charge" mode on camera.
    2. ADB drivers should automatically install for the camera. It will be called "Android" in the device manager. For more info or driver download if it does not install itself, watch the Youtube video above.
    3. Download and extract backup script: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1p5oeikxj...press.zip?dl=0
    4. Double click on "backup.cmd".
    5. Let it complete. When it prompts you if you would like to compress all backup files [Y] and [Enter] for yes.
    6. Share your backup here if you have not done so already! Use google drive, or dropbox or whichever.
    7. Optional: use FWinfo script to share firmware information such as manufacturer, image sensor and processor.

How to change the boot logo on an Allwinner V3s camera with hex editor:

Many of the current available tools are made for the V3 which results in different filesize output so you can't exactly use them to unpack/repack firmware. I fiddled around with the hex editor (never used it before) until this worked. Somehow.

** PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. This will require some technical knowledge as there may be variables depending on your particular camera or firmware. If in doubt, don't do it!**

1. Back up your camera using the backup script: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1p5oeikxj...press.zip?dl=0
    2. Create new images in your favorite image editor. 320 x 240 resolution. One for boot logo, one for shut down logo.
    3. Save as a .JPG image with settings "Baseline" and set the compression so that the final file size is below 64KB

4.0 Use Nutsey's script to convert JPG to IMG. Found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4t...RBVUpETk0/view
    4.1 Create a folder called UNFEX in the same folder as the script and put the JPG files in that folder
    4.2 Name your JPG files "blogo.jpg" and "slogo.jpg" for boot logo and shutdown logo
    4.3 Double click the jpg2img.bat file to run the script. It will output .IMG files
    4.5 Note that this script outputs IMG files for the V3 camera so the file size is too big. (128KB) We will account for this in the next step.

5.0 Open your new .IMG file in the hex editor such as HxD: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
    5.1 Delete everything *AFTER* this line. Do not delete this line: 0000FFF0
    5.2 The last several lines above 0000FFF0 will all be 00 00 00 00 [. . . . . . . . .] if you've done this correctly.
    5.3 If there's not several lines of dots at the end of the image then your JPG filew as too big. Go and make your JPG smaller and reconvert it to IMG
    5.4 Final file size of the revised .IMG file will be 64.0 KB now
    5.5 Double check that the last line of your new .IMG file is 0000FFF0

6.0 Duplicate your firmware (Full_Image.fex), and work only on the duplicate
    6.1 Open full_image.fex in your hex editor
    6.2 The images are just pasted in order in the firmware. This is where things might vary a bit... Mine started at 007D0000 near the end of the firmware.
    6.3 Every boot image seems to start with " ÿØÿá " or " ÿØÿà " so you can search for one of these to make it easier to find
    6.4 Highlight from " ÿØÿà " to the last . . . . . . . . . . . before the next " ÿØÿà ". Hold shift + page down to travel quickly
    6.5 Paste the 64 KB of hex value from your startup image over top of that information

7.0 If everything was done correctly the second " ÿØÿà " would be in same location it was before you pasted. For me this was 007E0000.
    7.1 Highlight until the end of the long series of dots.
    7.2 The next line would be more code, for example mine was, "gˆã.bootdelay=0.bootcmd=run setargs_spinor boot_" etc. For me this was on 007F0000.
    7.3 Paste the shut down logo hex over all the dots
    7.4 The first line of code after the dots should still be whatever it was before

--- NOTE --- You may be able to skip step 4 & 5 and paste the JPG hex directly into the hex editor, however you will need to know exactly where the image information starts / ends, and converting it to a 64KB .IMG file first avoids any issue with this. If you write down the start / end point of the boot logo and shutdown logo, and make sure everything around it is in the same spot first you can just paste the JPG hex over top of the existing code however I only recommend this for users who can pay attention to detail and make sure everything else stays in the same spot.

8. Make sure everything is in the right place. If you've done this correctly no other information in the firmware will have moved around.
    9. Save your file.
    10. Proceed with camera firmware update as normal.

Good luck!
    Last edited by DrekiTech; 05-02-2017, 08:51 AM.

GC2023 and IMX179 sensors. Note that GC has 16:9-like format and looks to be bigger than IMX, it also lacks IR-cut filter and its ribbon cable has less pins comparing to Sony model.
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Allwinner V3s chip comes in 128-pin eLQFP package which provides easy access to the pins comparing to V3 chip TFBGA package with 259 pins hidden underneath.
      Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
        GC2023 and IMX179 sensors. Note that GC has 16:9-like format and looks to be bigger than IMX, it also lacks IR-cut filter and its ribbon cable has less pins comparing to Sony model.
        Are you sure that's a GC2023 and not something else? The GC native resolution is 1600x1200 which would make it a 4:3 ratio like the IMX...

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          There are some IP-cam modules with this sensor selling on Aliexpress and they look absolutely the same. I think the native resolution of GC2023 is not 1600x1200, but close to 1920x1080.

how to change the boot and shutdown sound?

Comment

UNMAKEIMG tool - see this #277 post in the big thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DrekiTech View Post
            4.3 Double click the jpg2img.bat file to run the script. It will output .IMG files
            4.5 Note that this script outputs IMG files for the V3 camera so the file size is too big. (128KB) We will account for this in the next step.

5.0 Open your new .IMG file in the hex editor such as HxD: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
            5.1 Delete everything *AFTER* this line. Do not delete this line: 0000FFF0
            5.2 The last several lines above 0000FFF0 will all be 00 00 00 00 [. . . . . . . . .] if you've done this correctly.
            5.3 If there's not several lines of dots at the end of the image then your JPG filew as too big. Go and make your JPG smaller and reconvert it to IMG
            5.4 Final file size of the revised .IMG file will be 64.0 KB now
            5.5 Double check that the last line of your new .IMG file is 0000FFF0
            Use jpg2img64KB.bat to make directly 64KB img files.
            It was very easy to change two numbers in bat

Now you can create new image full_img_logo.fex with imagelogo.bat

I successfully flashed image with new logo. Backup original image and other info - see my signature.

Big thanks to nutsey & petesimon
            It is very good idea to make videotutorials..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kofola; 02-15-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X