No announcement yet.

Firefly 8SE MODx custom firmware.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I ask You kindly is there option to change video codec from VBR to CBR? Maybe that could help with this high peak problem on some sd cards which can't handle at some point? Anything I could write possibly to autoexec.ash? I am not really into this codes, can You help me if that is possible, what I could write there to get the bitrate constant at let's say about 80mbps in 4k30, 2.5k60, FHD60? This should all work like a charm with this settings and quality shouldn't be as much cutted. Also CZAROSLAW: could You send to us all Your autoexec.ash with this settings You have in table some posts above? I really like possibilities moding can give Us :-) One more question probably to NUTSEY: csn You change any settings of the gyro, I mean how much crop is used to stabilize video, or any other setting of it?

Comment

• netmaster4
      netmaster4 commented
      Editing a comment
      The Ambarella A12S board does support VBR, but this does not fixes the peak problem of some cards. Try to take a lower bitrate, should fix this issue for you or buy a card that is tested here in this thread.

• czaroslaw
      czaroslaw commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not use scripts.
      I use bitrate editor to change bitrate directly in the firmware.
      Here is the link with all necessary files: bitrate editor, midrive tool and config files to newest firmwares, original and modded.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Zn?usp=sharing

• Terry2020
      Terry2020 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd like to have an.option that allows me to change colour on the SE8.like Black and White, Sepia for example, just like the SJCAM's.

• Thank You for that, goin to do this my way best working on my card :-) One question: if I got V Version will that work for me??

Comment

• czaroslaw, do you have the config.json for v115? I only want to change bitrate on the official firmware. Thank you!

Comment

• czaroslaw
        czaroslaw commented
        Editing a comment
        No, only for U version as I own such one. You can prepare script by your own. You have to find adresses where specific strings are placed in the firmware. If you wish, I can prepare such script. Just let me know.

• Sure if you can help me, please! I'm afraid to try by myself... Thank you in advance!

Comment

• Any info on 24fps mod mentioned almost two months ago?

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Should it be 24 (24000/1000) or 23.975 (24000/1001)?

• banecuk
        banecuk commented
        Editing a comment
        I would prefer 23.975 fps, but probably any would do.

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        I see. What about low ISO + longer exposures priority for more cinematic look with motion blur? Does it make any sense?

• banecuk
        banecuk commented
        Editing a comment
        I would the expect shutter speed between 1/100 and 1/200 even during a cloudy day at ISO 100 with this lens for the proper exposure, but for some periods of the day a shutter between 1/50 and 1/60 sounds useful. Since there is no practical option to use ND filters, some limitations are expected.

Fortunately, when the camera is stationary its wide field of view often hides the absence of motion blur.

It is incredible that these params can be modified

• Another killer feature for me would be some changes in geometry correction. I often switch back to the original firmware when I need 1080P footage, it seems that in-camera stabilization and geometry correction do pretty good or even better job than I get in post with software stabilization and lens corrections. At least the workflow is shorter. Even the lower bitrate does not look that bad since it is easier to compress stabilized footage. I'm sure someone might find that superview like correction in the mod usefull, but I don't for my needs.

Anyway, since it is obviously possible to play with geometry is it possible to create a totally different projection? I had in mind Panini projection. We have it in Hugin, Magin Lantern, Unreal Engine... It keeps vertical lines straight and radial lines through the center of the image. Horizontal lines are still curved but that preserves more detail especially at the corners. For video work the software support is not great so in-camera support (if possible) is even more valuable than for the 'classic' defishing.

Comment

• I'd like to have an.option that allows me to change colour on the SE8 to enable me to record in Black and White, or Sepia for example, just like the SJCAM's.

Reason why is I modded my 8SE by removing its IR filter so I could use it in complete darkness with an Infrared light. To be able to change the color setting to Black and White would be awesome to me as it would take away the pinkish effect the camera gives me when it's being used as night vision.

Attachment is from SJCAM sj4000 available menu settings, notice the color menu.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Terry2020; 4 days ago.

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Which version do you have? V or U?

• I have the U version U115

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I've bricked my U cam. I can do a monochrome fw but I can't test if it flashes and works.

• How on earth did you manage to brick.your camera? So once bricked its no longer able to accept an upload of an original firmware on to it to solve the problem?

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          I've flashed it with a V ELF firmware in recovery mode thinking it was the V cam.

• Incidentally I have ordered a new SJCAM sj4000 to modify as it's very cheap nowadays. I will remove its IR filter and test out using its black and white recording function while using my night vision IR lights.

Amazingly the sj4000 do record excellent video BUT sadly their internal microphone are crappy making the audio unusable.

The sj4000 has no way to use an external microphone, you'd need to use the sj6000 legend for that as that action camera allows external microphones.

The firefly 8SE I can still purchase new here but they hold their price well it seems and I am not prepared to modify another 8SE UNLESS the purchasing price comes down to that of the sj4000.

I think most SJCAMS allow you to use different colour settings while recording video, being able to record directly in black and white while using night vision is a good benefit to me for sure.

My Firefly 8se 90° is a good camera, I have had it nearky 3yrs it's never given me any trouble but I did set its microphone gain at 60% to stop the possibility of electronic feedback during recording.

The microphones on these cameras are great and my setting seems to give me good audio without noise. Other owners of these action cameras in the past have complained about bad audio, clicking/scratching noise during recording and only heard on playback.

Anyway, this isn't a bad forum to be a part of.

Comment

Working...
        X