No announcement yet.

Firefly 8SE MODx custom firmware.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't help it but the settings button has some issues after flashing MOD firmware. After starting the camera, the settings button does nothing...The picture button works fine. Works okay with the original firmware.

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      The camera once restarts into something like 'calibration mode' after firmware updating. Wait until it's done and your cam will reboot one more time into normal mode.

• Hanz94
      Hanz94 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, okay. That makes sense.

Originally posted by froxic View Post
    4K30 doesnt seems fluent for me
    Try using another video player like VLC, PotPlayer or SMPlayer.
    If you find this site useful and interesting please feel free to support it by clicking highlighted text links and the banner below.

Comment

• Hanz94
      Hanz94 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am able to play the videos from the camera only in Win Media Player. VLC plays the first second, then shutters and it's broken. Could it be the fact that I am using NTSC in PAL region ?

• froxic
      froxic commented
      Editing a comment
      True is that when enabling DXVA in VLC 4K video playback is comparable with MPC (my CPU and GPU is powerfull enough). But I still seeing some kind of jerkyness in the video. Maybe Im only too sensitive for this stuff, maybe its due fact that Im seeing a lot of details in 4K30 fps which normaly blend in with lover resolution, who knows :-)

Media Player Classic plays all kinds of video smoothly on my quite old PC

https://mpc-hc.org

Comment

nutsey Do you add your mods on top of the official firmware or is it a separate branch? Firefly released a firmware update fixing a PWM remote control problem (camera screen sleep related). I was wondering if it will make into you future MOD.x releases? Thanks.

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. I'm working on it right now, fighting with the bug with 2K video modes.

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        I've managed to get rid of the bug. So, some basic daylight tests are needed and MOD3.0 is almost there.

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you imagine an action cam brand posting such a weird and explicit stuff

nutsey Great! Are these cameras open source or are you an official developer for them maybe?
      I also can't imagine a brand cam company realeasing a firmware update a week after contacting them about a problem 😁

​​​​​​​

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Not open source by all means. Pure reversing and hacking.

Looking forward to MOD3.

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Done! Check the first post here.

Please leave your feedback and share photo/video samples shot with my MODx firmwares. That could be very useful for further development and improvements.
      If you find this site useful and interesting please feel free to support it by clicking highlighted text links and the banner below.

Comment

• Arvycka
        Arvycka commented
        Editing a comment
        Great! Will test later.
        By the way, which resolution do you mean by "2k"?

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        2560x1440. Too lazy to add decimals

Hi. Just installed the MOD3 firmware. Will test it this weekend. Thank you for your awesome work !!! :-)
      Last edited by Hanz94; 10-11-2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Hi nutsey, could you explain this a bit more? "Better resolution in 2K60/1080P60 modes" Thanks

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure. Some settings were adjusted to add more fine details in these modes.

That Shutdown logo is seriously cool!

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx a lot! I've been working on it for a couple of days

I've found the 2K 60fps fails on my Samsung Evo U3 64GB micro SD. I think its best write speed is 60MB/s. Going to upgrade to Ver 3.0 to see if there is improvements.

Is there a table of throughput for the various capture modes? The S.fine and other finality, are the bitrate choices?
        Last edited by e8hffff; 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Arvycka
          Arvycka commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you sure you have a genuine card? U3 should be capable of at least 30 MB/s continuous. 2K/60 fps S.fine only generates ~10MB/s
          I recorded for 30 min continuously onto my SanDisk extreme without any problem.
          Try lower quality in settings or a new card.

• Lissanro
          Lissanro commented
          Editing a comment
          "Samsung Evo U3" is NOT real U3. It is unusually cheap so it may seem like a good deal... and it kind of is, on average it is faster than normal Class 10 card. Unfortunately, Evo card, even though generally fast, sometimes slows down far below minimum U3 speed (and therefore does not qualify for U3 rating in practice), and this brakes video recording. I have some bad experience with Samsung Evo 128GB card, and it seems 64GB is not any better. I was surprised to find out that it can fail even 60Mb/s speed, even though in most cases it can record at that bitrate without interruptions for relatively long time, it is not 100% reliable.

When I attempted to record 2.5K@60FPS to the Samsung Evo card, it did not work very well even at "Normal" bitrate. But this is a problem with the card, not the firmware. So I ended up buying SanDisk Extreme 128GB, it should provide real U3 speed (I didn't yet have time to test it for long recordings, but I'm sure it will be fine).

UPDATE: I have tested SanDisk Extreme card and was able to successfully make relatively long recording at 2.5K@60FPS (S. Fine, 100Mbps) without any interruptions - as far as I can tell everything works reliably with this card (for comparison, at this bitrate Samsung Evo card worked for about 13-18 seconds and then recording was interrupted).
          Last edited by Lissanro; 10-16-2018, 07:54 AM.

• e8hffff
          e8hffff commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Does anybody need 4K24 mode instead of useless 4K25 SV?

Comment

• Lissanro
          Lissanro commented
          Editing a comment
          To get proper frame geometry for SV, it is necessary to add metadata to the video file indicating its 4:3 aspect ratio, and this can be done even without reencoding (for example by using ffmpeg: "ffmpeg -i SV_VIDEO.MP4 -aspect 4:3 -c copy NORMAL_VIDEO.MP4"). SV mode allows me to take 4K video from whole sensor area and the sensor natively has 4:3 aspect ratio, so to me it is as natural as taking 4:3 photos with 4:3 sensor.

Ultraview may be great fancy mode for those who want to view videos from whole sensor area with 16:9 aspect ratio, but Ultraview adds non-uniform distortion. If there is a choice, I vote to keep 4K25 SV. I like my videos "raw" without unnecessary distortion added by software which cannot be losslessly undone.

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay. Thanks for explaining your point of view. What do you think about 4k25 SV->4k24 SV(24000/1001)?

• Lissanro
          Lissanro commented
          Editing a comment
          Difference between 24 and 25 FPS would not be noticeable for me. As far as I know almost nobody can notice the difference between 24 and 25 FPS.

Where is the Distortion Correction option ? It seems to be gone. Anybody else have the same issue ? Using MOD3.

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it's gone for sure. Software distortion correction seems to be the most useless function for action cams with optional non-distortion lens version available.

• Lissanro
          Lissanro commented
          Editing a comment
          In case you really need distortion correction, it is better to use video editing software on PC. Builtin distortion correction in Firefly 8SE was pretty bad. In my opinion in most cases distortion correction is not necessary; field of view and sharpness are better without it. But if you often need video without distortion, it is good idea to purchase version of the camera with non-distortion lens.
          Last edited by Lissanro; 10-14-2018, 10:46 AM.

I disagree. I think it was pretty good. I wonder what was the reason for removing it.

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          It was not removed, but modified into Ultraview...
      Working...
      X