Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

GoPrawn.com needs your patronage! Please feel free to become a patron here. You can also make a one-time payment.
See more
See less

Firefly 8SE MODx custom firmware.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my Firefly 8SE from GearBest and it has overheat issue (damn high temperature). Does anyone of you here has the same issue? Thanks!

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      It happens when you use it for a long time under direct sunlight...

• hulk pwngan
      hulk pwngan commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it just me or am I having less heating and touchscreen un-responsiveness issues with this (awesome) mod?

My idea with two separate firmwares for 'pros' and 'consumers' is almost carried out and I need to know users opinions on how good or bad it looks at the moment.

So, here is the comparison of two MODs.

#1.

#2.

First of all, could you tell me which is where? The second question is which is better for you and why? And the last one - what's wrong with the other one?

Please spend a couple of minutes and reply to my questions if you want to get a better custom firmware that matches your needs.

PS: Don't forget to open full-sized PNGs.
    Last edited by nutsey; 11-02-2018, 06:54 PM.
    Do you find this site useful and interesting? Please support it by donating here.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• froxic
      froxic commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the sharpness of the #2 ... but picture quality - colors, exposure and CA are better in #1. So from my point of view, create 2 fimwares with different sharpness levels. Or is it possible to have such control via FW sharpness adjustments or it require more so full FW flash and 2 versions are still needed? Have such control via enmbeded sharpness could be ideal :-)

• Lissanro
      Lissanro commented
      Editing a comment
      @nutsey
      It looks OK to me as is. Good contrast and dynamic range. There are no obvious issues. Great improvement over stock firmware, the result is very close to "perfect" for this inexpensive hardware.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Lissanro, thank you. Now I'm going to fine-tune modes with higher frame rates as shorter exposures produce more noise.

Thanx everyone for the comments! Here is another pair of stills:

#1:

#2:

The #1 is unchanged, the #2 now has less saturation and was tweaked for better highlights. What do you think?
    Do you find this site useful and interesting? Please support it by donating here.

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's see if anyone using this cam for direct uploads votes for #2.

BTW, these two somewhat look-alike firmwares have 253 different settings in AE, AWB and ADJ sections.

• froxic
      froxic commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you create something in the middle like colors and corrections from no.1 and sharpness of no.2 mixed together? :-)

• Arvycka
      Arvycka commented
      Editing a comment
      Still #1 for me, more detail at full zoom, better colours
      Last edited by Arvycka; 11-04-2018, 08:36 AM.

Color and lighting work better in # 1. The picture looks more homogeneous. My favorite is therefore # 1.

Comment

# 2 is sharper, but the sharpness can be reworked in the post for # 1 as needed.

Comment

#1 and #2 compared again. Now I improved #1 - it has much better fine details and textures.

Do you like this improvement?

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          dukekox, none of white balance settings were changed, so, warmer colors are probably seen due to slightly different lighting conditions.

Thanks, seems like that the Anti-CA filter settings should be also adjusted or maybe I need to get the chroma filter back. Gonna try it out.

• Lissanro
          Lissanro commented
          Editing a comment
          @nutsey
          OK, I have emailed you login/password. Regarding more noticeable CA, if there is a way to reduce it without sacrificing noticeable amount of quality, then it would be even better. But even as is, I still like the new version.

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. For some reason I can't log in with the login and password you've sent to me.

nutsey Hi, does WiFi work on your camera? I know it worked on mine before (don't remember which FW) and now when I enable it the WiFi symbol comes on, the camera becomes super laggy and it does not broadcast the network at all.

Comment

• Arvycka
          Arvycka commented
          Editing a comment
          then my camera already broke...great... (not at all)

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Brace yourself. I have a dozen of dead cams.

• Arvycka
          Arvycka commented
          Editing a comment
          WiFi isn't super useful anyway, but it still sucks...

Guys, what do you think about transforming PAL modes from 25 to 23.97 (24000/1001) fps for the 'pro' version? Does anybody need this 'cinematic' framerate?

Comment

• dukekox
          dukekox commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I would definitely appreciate this cinematic look and maybe there is a tiny, tiny advantage concering the bitrate. So, yes... if all the other options are not affected I would give it a go.

nutsey, can you send me a raw footage from 8SE @ 1080p60 with your lastest firmware to compare with raw footage from SJ8 Pro 1.2.7 MOD1 posted by steph31fr ?

Comment

nutsey Hi, which metering mode and EV do you use for your samples? Thanks.

Comment

• nutsey
            nutsey commented
            Editing a comment
            Good question. I thought I was using my modded center-weighted metering (custom version of the 'Center'), but it was 'Multi'. EV 0.

Nutsey,
          When you say 2k for Mod3 are you referring to 2.5K also?

Comment

• nutsey
            nutsey commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. The mode with the highest resolution for 60 fps.

Nutsey,

Please bring back distortion correction option back to latest mod version.

Comment

• nutsey
            nutsey commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,

Seems like I need to split 'pro' and 'non-pro' versions into 'DC' and 'UV" subdivisions...

Nutsey,

yes, spliting 'pro' and 'non-pro' versions into 'DC' and 'UV" subdivisions would be great. Thanks

Comment

Hello,

is there a way to set the camera to avoid the distortions?
            Notice when the plane turns the sky bends badly, also notice after the turn there is like a fold or wrinkle in the middle of the image more noticeable on the left hand side.

https://youtu.be/rS8LRNuyqOI

Using
            • U103 MOD3.0
            • 1080P 50fps
            • Video Quality S.Fine,
            • FOV Wide
            • Sharpness Strong
            • Gyro Sensor ON
            • UltraView ON
            • TV Mode PAL
            Thank you!

Comment

• grotoc
              grotoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I've made an autoexec.ash file with :

#!/bin/sh

sleep 10

nc localhost 7878 <<EOF
              {"msg_id":257,"token":0}
              EOF

sleep 1

nc localhost 7878 <<EOF
              {"msg_id":2,"type":"osd","param":"off","token": 1}
              EOF

The script runs well from a telnet session, but nothing happens when I restart the Firefly even if I've put it in the root directory of the SD card.

• nutsey
              nutsey commented
              Editing a comment
              Rename it to 'osd-off.sh' and copy to the root of your memory card.

Then create autoexec.ash file at the same location:

sleep 10
              t ipc rpc clnt exec2 'sh /tmp/SD0/osd-off.sh'

PS: decrease 'sleep 10' to 'sleep 1' in .sh

• grotoc
              grotoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Very good ! Thanks a lot !

Hi Nutsey, I just want to thank you for your great work. I just upgraded to Mod3 and the results are fantastic. It's amazing how well the camera performs in low light conditions. Thank you so much. I have one question. I saw some videos of people zooming with the Firefly 8S by loosening the lens and getting real nice closeup shots. I don't want to risk doing that without knowing well. Is it safe to do so? Are there any tutorials about that? Thanks again!

Comment

• nutsey
              nutsey commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, thanks for your feedback!

You should follow these steps:
              1. Remove the front panel.
              2. Unscrew the lens - carefully heat the glue with a hair dryer.
              3. Use HDMI or wifi connection to set the focus.
          Working...
          X