SJCAM SJ8 Pro MODx custom firmware.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SJCAM SJ8 Pro MODx custom firmware.

MOD1 custom firmware for SJ8 Pro with increased bitrate values (based on 1.2.7) DOWNLOAD | MIRROR

MOD2 (based on 1.2.9) with high bitrates and better low light performace DOWNLOAD

MOD3 (based on MOD2) with better JPEG quality and higher bitrates for 1080p30 DOWNLOAD

MOD4 (based on 1.3.0) with even better JPEG quality and center-weighted metering DOWNLOAD

MOD4.1 (based on 1.3.0) with adjusted AE metering modes order DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by nutsey; 01-24-2019, 07:29 AM. Reason: +MOD4.1
    Donate here if you want to support this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

1. Is it possible to use scripts on this cam?
    2. Is it possible to unlock some options like 4k30fps eis h265? I guess it's locked because heat causing instabillity.
    3. Could you show me how to modify this firmware?

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      1. The 'c:\autoexec.ash' string is mentioned in firmwares... so, it is quite possible.
      2. I don't know.
      3. These are my own knowhow skills that were obtained during 3.5 years of hard work.

• toor
      toor commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried creating simple autoexec.sh file:
      sleep 9
      t app test record
      sleep 5
      t app beep

but it looks like it's not beeing executed. Maybe you can modify firmware to execute autoexec?

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      .sh or .ash?

• toor
      toor commented
      Editing a comment
      *.ash

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Make sure there is a Linux EOL symbol in the end of each line.

You can also try something like this:
      sleep 9
      reboot yes

• toor
      toor commented
      Editing a comment
      sleep 9
      reboot yes

is partially working! Camera powers on and instanly powers off, so I guess sleep is ignored or not supported, and reboot doesn't work properly.
      Thanks for your tips!

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Does this command work?:
      t ipc rpc clnt exec2 'touch /tmp/SD0/GoPrawnWasHere'

or this one?:
      echo GoPrawnWasHere > c:\GoPrawnWasHere

• toor
      toor commented
      Editing a comment
      Second one is working!

Nutsey, it's great you have an SJ8 Pro too.
    I have two, however it seems like these are unfinished product.
    Unrelieable firmwares, 60p recording while i set 50p, no 5ghz wifi, powern on problems, etc.
    I hope with newer firmwares it will be better and better, because i like 4k/60p for this price.

What is the bitrate with this mod? Cam can already record in 100mbps.
    Maybe 120? 150? Any sample which show the benefit?

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have an SJ8 Pro. It's too expensive for me to buy one.

The bitrates are:
      3840x2160p30 80 Mbps
      3840x2160p60 120 Mbps
      2560x1440p60 36 Mbps
      1920x1080p60 36 Mbps
      1920x1080p120 60 Mbps
      1280x720p240 60 Mbps

• TonyHC
      TonyHC commented
      Editing a comment
      Ehi Nutsey,
      i will be more than happy to make you a donation so you will buy an sj8pro and so you will work better on the firmware.I think that everyone who's following this post will be happy to receive good firmaware for the sj8pro and i am sure that most of them will make a small donation to you.What do you think?
      Thanks

Tony

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, Tony. Of course I don't mind to go on with this cam.

Unfortunately Paypal is fully blocked in my country so the only way to do it I've found at the moment is this: https://www.patreon.com/nutsey

• TonyHC
      TonyHC commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Nutsey,
      never heard about patreon and don´t know how it works...i´m not sure i did it well,hope so...let me know.
      Thanks

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I've discovered this service quite recently as well and don't know if it 100% works. I heard It's popular among artists, musicians etc. So, firmware customization can be also considered as a form of modern art

Anyway thank you for the support, Tony!

• TonyHC
      TonyHC commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Nutsey,
      i saw you made a lot of mods/improvements on Firefly 8SE firmware.Are you planning to do the same good job on SjCam SJ8pro as well?
      Thanks Tony

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Tony,
      Yes, I am. The SJ8 Pro cam's hardware has really great potential for customizing.

With those modified bitrates battery is dead after 1 hour of recording 1080p60fps compared to 1,5 hour with standard settings (tested with h265 encoding). Maybe some kind of bug?

From my tests:
    1. Telnet can be easily activated on this cam giving full linux access, but actually this gives us nothing, we can't run Ambashell commands in linux shell.
    2. autoexec.ash is kinda working, but this gives us nothing too. "sleep" commands are beeing ignored, t ipc rpc clnt exec2 too, and camere is crashing on boot when I try to use most of other avaible commands (for example changing wifi settings).

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      At least you can control the shutter with
      /usr/bin/SendToRTOS record
      /usr/bin/SendToRTOS photo
      commands.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      By the way, do writeb/readb, writew/readw and writel/readl commands work in ambashell?

• toor
      toor commented
      Editing a comment
      /usr/bin/SendToRTOS record -> it should work, but it isn't. The camere does nothing. Could be a bug in 1.2.7 software.

Camera is crashing with:
      readb 0xA0000000 > c:\b_test
      readw 0xA0000000 > c:\w_test
      readl 0xA0000000 > c:\l_test

Could you give me some examples? Maybe this address doesn't exist?

Hi,Nutsey

Could you please help us fix audio problem?Since official firmware 1.2.7 pull again,i think SJCAM engineer is very sucks.......tks for you DEV!
    Detail:https://sjcam.com/community/threads/...us-issue.2522/

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's see if SJCAM marketing staff is better than those who suck or not.

tony9189 have you tried setting volume to 5 or 6? I have no problems with sound when volume is set to 6, compared to 8 when it was totally distorted like in your movie.

FOV settings for 1080p would be really nice, but I guess it's only possible to do by SJCAM.

Comment

• tony9189
      tony9189 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reply,i will try you'r way.

I really hesitate to buy the SJ8 Pro, because on Youtube, all its1920x1080 samples have much lower quality than those of the SJCAM M10+ (also seen on Youtube) that I have for 3 years. Does the MOD1 firmware with increased bit rate at 36mb significantly improve the definition? I will appreciate a lot to find a native sample of a few seconds to judge the result. Can anyone post one? Thanks

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Please don't decide anything using Youtube vids only and try comparing raw footages uploaded to file sharing sites.

• AussieKev
      AussieKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Have better luck with Vimeo than YouTube. Don't care nobody sees it but OK to share

hello can anyone teach me how to install this fw to my sj8 pro?thus it fix the power issue?
    and can you teach me also how to downgrade my sj8 pro if i face some problems?

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Simply unpack SJ8_FWUPDATE.bin and SJ8_CHECK.ch files to the root of your memory card and turn the camera on. Make sure the battery is fully charged before doing this!

What power issue? This MOD increases bitrates only.

Downgrading procedure is the same with installing newer version.

power issue is that sometimes when i turn off my camera,and if turn it on again it wont start up.instead i take out the battery and put back to make it turn on..is there any solution for that?

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      The only 100% working solution is to start using something else rather than SJCAM products
      Last edited by nutsey; 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM.

Originally posted by toor View Post
    Telnet can be easily activated on this cam
    Is it enabled by default?

Comment

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      i have an sj8 pro with stock f/w 1.3.0 (2018.12.28). i gotta check if this telnet (and ssh/http/ftp/whatever) works at all....

*UPDATE* - telnet port 23 works. busybox and common Linux commands work. not sure about autoexec.sh ambashell commands yet. still testing... Check post #1 again in this other thread https://www.goprawn.com/forum/ambare...1936#post11936 for the updated ambarella MTD backup scripts (such as this https://yadi.sk/d/4Sh_ElaOpJw7Hw )

anyway, these network ports are open (according to nmap):
      23 tcp
      53 tcp and udp
      111 tcp and udp
      9898 tcp
      unfortunately no port 80 or 443 for standard http/web

just for fun, here's a raw backup of mtdblocks https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...GXzTan6F2dEdHX
      Last edited by petesimon; 06-15-2019, 07:17 AM.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool! Could you try running some ambashell script commands as well?

My SJ8 PRO came with version 1.2.8 and I was a little disappointed by the low bit rates (even if the result is a little bit better than my failed SJCAM M10+)

So I downgraded it to NUTSEY 1.2.4 MOD1 and the result is much better: there is quite no artifact between the keyframes.

==> I posted a short video clip of 40 MB (1080 60FPS) on this link : https://turbobit.net/5fzvgqzow88v.html

Unfortunately, version 1.2.4 had a big issue: no 50 FPS (even when 1080 50 is selected in the menu, the result is 1080 60 FPS) and 50 FPS is very important to me.

Nutsey, I hope you will have a moment to make the same patch on this new version 128 that offers 50FPS
    What is the mail to which we can propose to SJCAM to send you a camera ?

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess they removed links to the 1.2.8 version for some reason... so, to mod anything I have to get it first

I've shared my email and anyone willing to send me anything useful can absolutely feel free to ask me about any shippping details there.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      turbobit link is temporary and may become dead. please use google drive or dropbox or pcloud

Hi,
    I found version 1.2.8 on this link : https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...SxvnIG-BjH3RW0
    that is given on the website SJCAM Community on https://sjcam.com/community/threads/...pp-1-2-8.3128/

Best regards,
    Steph

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Let's hope that SJCAM as well will move further from current 'not giving a single f*ck about it'...
      Last edited by nutsey; 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• AussieKev
        AussieKev commented
        Editing a comment
        For the price SJCAM really should have better responses to emails and support. Too expensive for what you get. Firefly 8SE is better from what I've seen in comparison reviews at least.

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
      MOD1 custom firmware for SJ8 Pro with increased bitrate values (based on 1.2.7) DOWNLOAD | MIRROR

Hey. What were you using to change the firmware for the camera?

Comment

For information :
        Answer from SJCAM support about SJ8 firmware Version 1.2.8 which is not published on their Website :
        "1.2.8 firmware version of SJ8 Pro is newest and we will publish it in updating page later, please do not worry."

Comment

Working...
        X