Firefly Hawkeye 8SE Hissing Microphone Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefly Hawkeye 8SE Hissing Microphone Fix

If you've got internal microphone hissing problems during recording, then this maybe an easy fix!

I found that when recording on my 8SE I could hear a slight hissing sound in the background. The interference was coming directly off the electronics from the photo array component and other electronics in the lens. What I found after unclipping the face plate with my finger nails, is that the microphone was simply sitting right next to the lens, and not even facing the correct direction for any incoming audio. I simply put in some long lasting compound type foam from a hard-drive product packaging, to push the mic to the side. I also twisted the pair of wires on the microphone to help with interference. I now have clear audio recordings! Here are some images.

Nice mod! Thanks for sharing!
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

If you notice the circuit broad there are three contacts for the microphone. The microphone component is mono, so the free contact maybe for the other audio channel. Therefore it maybe possible to wire in a second microphone for stereo recording.

Comment

• petesimon
        petesimon commented
        Editing a comment
        i wonder if your first and/or your second post is true for Firefly 8s ? hm ?

Unfortunately I don't think this mod can easily be done for 8s. The microphone is soldered on the PCB and personally I wouldn't really try to de-solder it
      (Although there are some russian sites where you can find microphone mods for 8s...)

Comment

• e8hffff
        e8hffff commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, you'd have to use a heat air gun to remove it, which could damage or dislodge other components.

I have been tempted to do this as it looked simple to do and i have plenty of Samsung hands free due to earphone shorts. I've seen the reviews and never thought the mic was that bad on the 8s when it came to being in a room with loud music for example. Are these Russian sites worth checking out?

where I saw it. https://youtu.be/fLYwik18sTA

Comment

What is the best way to unclip the front cover ? I'm afraid I might break it.

EDIT: I got it :-)
        Last edited by Hanz94; 10-06-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• e8hffff
          e8hffff commented
          Editing a comment
          I just used my fingernails, and I am not someone that has long nails. It's real easy to get off. Try concentrating on one edge to free room for other sides to unclip easier.

Did you put the rubber cover on the mic again or not ?

Comment

• e8hffff
          e8hffff commented
          Editing a comment
          There was no rubber cover on my microphone. What you see is what I got. I simply twisted the wires, faced it the proper direction, and put the grey foam behind it to keep the mic in place.

Hello. Mine have an awfull noise with internal or external micro (electronical interferences but not slight: very present). I tried to twist the wires and keep the micro in place but no change... Any idea?
        (sorry for my bad english)
        Last edited by af31; 10-22-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X