Looking for clarity on Ambarella quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for clarity on Ambarella quality

Is A12 superior to A7 and A9? I am looking to invest in a *good* action cam for under $130, and I'm willing to wait for some of the newer A12 stuff to come out.

Ambarella seems to be the highest quality chips? If I'm mistaken, please point me to the best quality chips.

I bought an Q3H Allwinner V3 a few weeks ago (was branded a "4K camera by Campark") knowing nothing about action cams and this has been a huge learning experience for me. I'm a software engineer, linux user and have done disassembly stuff, so I am planning on hacking on the Q3H to try to get it to produce some good 1080p. My research into the camera's odd results (super sharp but choppier 2.7k, smoother but less sharp [email protected], and almost cartoon-like [email protected]) has led me to this forum. (I know there is an Allwinner board, I just wanted to post a little introduction ).
    Last edited by spectral; 09-23-2016, 07:55 PM.

Hi! Welcome to GoPrawn.

For some strange reason A12 is placed between A7 and A9. We could compare Ambarella datasheets, but let's just wait for A12 cams to find out their real possibilities.

Did you tried to fix audio quality problem with your Q3H?
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• spectral
      spectral commented
      Editing a comment
      nutsey I haven't tried to fix any of the problems with the Q3H yet. I am working on backing it up in case I have to reflash it completely. My first goal will be to try some of the new images thegamut has been working on to get better results out of the [email protected]

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      You can use my backup script.
      https://www.goprawn.com/forum/allwin...?p=259#post259

• spectral
      spectral commented
      Editing a comment
      I used the backup script, worked great. I have the 7 partition .img files and a full_img.fex. Is that everything I can rely on for a full restore? I have heard about a "script.bin" but I have no idea where to find that.. is it in one of the .img partitions?

Is it possible to brick the camera to make it impossible to restore? I plan on hacking on the imx179.ko module.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      script.bin is inside 0-boot.img file

Unbricking almost anything can be done very cheap and easy if you have a spare flash chip, a soldering iron + basic skills, a SPI flash programming device and the proper image to flash.

So it sounds like A9 is the superior chip?

I'm awaiting the new wave of A12/A9 cams and hopefully proper 4K cams before I invest in a new one! I currently have my eye on the Git2.

Comment

Yes, A9 will be the best until H265-capable H12 and H2 hit the market.
      Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Working...
      X