Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the opinion of the new T5e firmware update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the opinion of the new T5e firmware update?

I've had my T5e for a month now and like it a lot for the price. It does a very good job in bright light. It does a good job in modest light and decent even in low light. One of the things I wasn't crazy about was the FOV but now with the firmware, we have 3 choices for extra wide, wide or normal. Very handy upgrade for those that haven't done it yet. I used the SD card version and loaded up no problem. Haven't tested every setting with the new firmware but so far, I really like it. Anyone had a chance to thoroughly test it and found any bugs with it? I plan on testing it out in low light video mode tonight and will be curious to see how it does filming thru my scope now that I can get the 90 degree FOV.

thought Id update again after doing some videos with the T5e last night. The FOV control works perfectly. In the narrow mode, there is no noticeable bending of the image and in wide mode vs. superwide... there is just noticeable bending in the very corners so dramatically better than superwide. I also experimented with the different settings such as ISO, white balance and scene mode. They all did make differences but I am still learning how they work with each other. I didn't get what I would call excellent results yet but I am getting very decent images thru the scope. There is some minor blurring of the images but not bad at all. I think with more time, I will learn the tricks to make it work its best.

I can now say I think the T5e is a bargain for what you get. The 1080x120fps mode is my favorite video mode so far. I will say the camera does get very hot after a few minutes when in the waterproof case. I'm using it without the case for my scope and doesn't get nearly as hot that way. As long as the heat doesn't kill it prematurely, I think it is a real winner! For those that run video for extended periods of time, I'd recommend using it without the waterproof case.
    Last edited by oldrockfan; 08-01-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• TwoBlues
      TwoBlues commented
      Editing a comment
      Oldrockfan
      Hello
      Does your T5 allow the narrow FOV in 1080p60? Sjcam has been having difficulty with FOV and gyro. My SJ7 doesn't do narrow FOV in that resolution.

Originally posted by oldrockfan View Post
    thought Id update again after doing some videos with the T5e last night. The FOV control works perfectly. In the narrow mode, there is no noticeable bending of the image and in wide mode vs. superwide... there is just noticeable bending in the very corners so dramatically better than superwide. I also experimented with the different settings such as ISO, white balance and scene mode. They all did make differences but I am still learning how they work with each other. I didn't get what I would call excellent results yet but I am getting very decent images thru the scope. There is some minor blurring of the images but not bad at all. I think with more time, I will learn the tricks to make it work its best.

I can now say I think the T5e is a bargain for what you get. The 1080x120fps mode is my favorite video mode so far. I will say the camera does get very hot after a few minutes when in the waterproof case. I'm using it without the case for my scope and doesn't get nearly as hot that way. As long as the heat doesn't kill it prematurely, I think it is a real winner! For those that run video for extended periods of time, I'd recommend using it without the waterproof case.
    Hi oldrockfan,

Just received my new T5e and not upgraded the firmware yet. I was informed the PC version of the upgrade is better though no real reason why was mentioned but they do know the Linux based firmware very well. I cannot see there would be much difference between the ELF and BIN files, just the way it is loaded to the ChipSip NAND, surely and possibly an embedded Loader which will not effect the cam settings?

After reading your review I will give it a go using SDcard version. Just waiting for new SD cards to arrive from GearBest and start with fresh cards.

Have an older NT96660 based cam and the FOV works well. Also 4 settings from 90* to 170* also quite good at 90* so looking forward to this option on the T5e.

Here is a low light example on my original T5e (non mic version), standard "out of the box" settings with FHDp60 and EIS ON only changes. Came out very nicely as I was trying to see how BAD the cam was but surprised it did quite well.

Comment

Kev, the SD card update was a piece of cake. Just loaded the bin file in the root directory of a freshly formatted SD card and then inserted it into the camera and turned it on. Go to the firmware and click on it and tell it to update. Took a couple minutes and was done. I then re-formatted the card to erase the bin file and everything seems to be working just fine so far. Nice video and yes, the T5e is a great little action camera for the money and the new FOV options are really handy.
      Last edited by oldrockfan; 08-02-2017, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to do an update now that I have had a chance to go thru the settings more thoroughly. Ok of the new firmware updates... I like them. The fov was definitely one of the handy features. I find I like the medium setting best for regular action cam shooting. It still gives fairly wide fov but take out some of the extreme bending around the edges. For my specialty use filming with night vision scope, the tightest fov setting works best. Now I will say the T5e is not the greatest at low light. I have tweaked it and got some decent shots but honestly it is much better in moderate light than low light. The images I get thru the night vision scope are usable but do come out grainy so cant be blown up very large. In bright light, the T5e is very clear and does an excellent job. I am happy with my purchase and would recommend the T5e to anyone at this point. Will it replace my $1000+ Nikon? Of course not but for the super low price you pay for it, Thi Eye has a winner with the T5e and the new firmware is well worth the minor hassle of loading it.

Comment

• TwoBlues
          TwoBlues commented
          Editing a comment
          oldrockfan:
          The 120fps and 240 fps from my SJ7 are pretty decrepit- how is the slowmotion in cam of the T5e?

• AussieKev
          AussieKev commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, recently purchased Cyberlink Photo Director 9 Ultra and has a handy Lens Correction feature for Ambarella based SoC like Hero 4 etc. Removes curve but crops to the center of the left and right edges by moving top and bottom out. Does a very good job, not just a "stretch".
          LINK - https://www.cyberlink.com/products/p...res_en_AU.html

The 120fps works well in the T5E. I have to say I never use the 240fps so other than verifying I have it... cant really comment on it. I will say the 120fps mode needs lots of light to work its best. It still captures frames in lower light but gets pretty grainy. In lower light, I use the 1080p at 60fps. Looks much better than the 120fps.

Comment

Working...
        X