GoPro Hero (A7+AR0833) action cam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro Hero (A7+AR0833) action cam.

The cheapest waterproof GoPro camera (CHDHA-301) hacks and mods.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gopro_hero_2014.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	7363
    Some useful autoexec.ash (ambashell) scripts to be posted here.
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

HeroTune scripts for GoPro Hero 2014 action cam (FW 1.07).

HeroTune
    Improves shadows/highlights, increases bitrate for 1080P30 from 15 to 20 Mbit/s, turns off noise reduction.

HeroTune-MAX
    Same as above, plus disables some excessive image filtering. Bitrate for 1080P - 24 Mbit/s.

HeroTune-PRO
    Same as previous without 'watercolor' look.

Please note that download links below work only for registered users.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nutsey; 12-06-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

HeroTune scripts for GoPro HERO. 200% crops.

Fullsize

Comment

Testing new HeroTune scripts.

Default GoPro Hero FW ver. 1.07 (no scripts). Horizontal FOV is ~135°.

HeroTune-120:

HeroTune-90:

HeroTune-120 gives ~120° HFOV with 2880x1620 sensor readout (150% of FullHD).
        HeroTune-90 gives ~90° HFOV with 1920x1080 1:1 sensor readout resulting in max details.
        Last edited by nutsey; 12-17-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I added an intermediate readout mode (125% of FullHD - 2400x1350) which gives ~105° HFOV and provides pretty nice balance between wide angle / details and noise level.

Here are 100% crops:

"Digital zoom" on the right was enlarged from original 'no script' to show the difference.

Comment

More fine-tuning. Shadows/highlights improved. Digital gain lowered to reduce noise. 1080p30 changed to 1080p24. Audio bitrate increased to 192kbit/s.

Default:

HeroTune-120:

HeroTune-105:

HeroTune-90:

Comment

• Crispy
              Crispy commented
              Editing a comment
              Hallo Nutsey,
              Thank you for your great work. I own a GoXtreme Stage 2.5K (Sunco SO73), which is based on Ambarella A7 and the Omnivision OV4689.

I used AE to set the video quality settings for "fine" to 40Mb/S which works well with LEXAR MircoSD x1800 (write speeds of up to 150MB/s) and SANDISK cards which offer write speeds arround 90MB/s. The camera gets a bit warm at this high bitrate settings, but not really hot. (Even 2560x1080 works without dropped frames at 40MB/S).

I also use one of your scripts for the Xiaomi Yi to get a "flat" "LOG-like" image for video editing, although I had to play arround to modify the settings a bit (different sensor I guess).

The reason I bought the camera (October 2018) is the 2.5mm audio jack which allows me to connect an external stereo microphone via adapter cable and the low price (right now € 65.99). It was designed with musicians in mind and the camera comes with very useful attachments to mount the camera on instruments which allow interesting view angles.

Another pro is the video quality in low light conditions (without any scripts), which allow to record in rehearsal rooms, music clubs and concerts at night (stage light is sufficient in most cases. A few musicians I know own the camera and they are as happy as I am with the little thing.

But the camera has one small disadvantage: It records the stereo audio with only 128Kb/s. In most cases that is not a problem, but at higher db levels keyboards in their mid eq-range, choirs, strings and vocals up to the low highs show clear signs of compression artifacts. It sounds like a wav file with brickwall compression converted to a 128kb/s mp3.

Please tell me, how you were able to increase the audio bitrate from 128kb/s to 192kb/s.

192kb/s or 256kb/s would make my friends and me very happy! I searched the internet for scripts and firmware mods but to no avail. I even searched all the files of the unpacked firmware with a hex editor for the audio portion of the firmware. But I found nothing so far. It would be great to change it in the firmware directly. Till now we solved the problem with an additional Zoom multitrack recorder. We tried different external mics (Sony, Rhode, Boya, Beringer etc.) which should be able to cope with high db-levels. Oh, by the way; I downloaded the HeroTune scripts, but I couldn´t find HeroTune 90, 105 or 120. Thanx in advance.
              Last edited by Crispy; 02-05-2019, 11:38 AM.

• nutsey
              nutsey commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi,

Could you share a firmware and/or a memory dump?

GoPro Hero 2014 is capable recording 1600x1200 at 60fps! But unfortunately this mode is not stable and the camera gets stuck every other time.

Comment

GoPro Hero 2014 has only three video modes to select from: 1080p30, 720p60 and 720p60 superview.

There is a script command which can be used to select other modes:
              Code:
              writeb 0xC09DE9A6 0xN
              Where N is video mode index in hex. Full video modes list: GoPro Hero 2014 video modes.zip

For example, adding "writeb 0xC09DE9A6 0x10" to your autoexec.ash script will switch your camera to 720p30 shooting mode.

Comment

Photo resolution for the Hero 2014 camera is limited by 5 megapixels (2592x1944), but the hardware (AR0833 CMOS sensor) can shoot 8MP (3264x2448).

So, I've managed to increase the resolution of stills to 8MP.

5MP (default):

8MP with my HeroTune script:

Comment

• AussieKev
                  AussieKev commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would the autoexec.ash scripts work on any A7 based cams like Sunco SO71?

• nutsey
                  nutsey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, it should work on anything but more or less recent A7 based dash cams with OV4689 sensor.

GoPro HERO 2014 cam's hardware is very similar to more recent GoPro HERO4 Session which uses the AR0835 sensor (slightly faster version of the AR0833).

Comment

GoPro HERO (2014) for $78.99 + shipping on Amazon
                  Last edited by nutsey; 02-01-2019, 08:40 AM. Reason: $79.99 -> $78.99 price drop

Comment

The HEROTUNE script development goes on.

Stock:

Scripts:
                    90-degree FOV sensor readout:

100-degree FOV sensor readout:

Note that no adjustment filters (e.g. sharpness, denoise etc) settings were altered here.

Comment

Hi,
                      Update on the GoXtreme Stage 2.5K or "The endless search for the audio settings"

The last 2 weeks were stressy, but I manged to upload the GoXtreme Stage 2.5K backup firmware, another firmwware sent to me by EasyyPix, (the reseller of the SUNCO SO73 in Europe, which brands the cams as GoXtreme) , the getinfo files as zip, a manual and datasheet of the camera, the Ambarella A7 datasheet and a Omnivision OV4689 datasheet.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...SQr6NDAa8FGkCb

I unpacked the new firmware I received from EasyPix and searched for the audio codec settings. Nada, nix. I found a feature list, which says, A7 SOC is able to encode up to 8 audio channels! But the bitrate settings still remain elusive.

Your HeroTune scripts work on my camera, but the sky turns orange. Groovy! I left the autoexec on the card and deleted the config file and the autoexec worked, but since the main tuning part is in the config, the image didn´t change much.

Since the A7 datasheet tells me, that the camera will store 8MP RAW at 30fps, I will try "t cal -raw 0 100 0" [mode] [count] [compress] and "t cal -rawext 0 100 2688 1512 [mode][frame][mainwin_w][mainwin_h]. I use "t app test debug_dump 14" to make RAW images and I figured out, how to modify the config.inf of RAW2DNG in order to use the converted camera´s RAW files in photo editors.

The DNGs are really looking flat like LOG files of a digital cinema camera! Size of one RAW image is 7938KB. Not bad! Cineform Cinema DNG would be great.

I ordered a second camera to take apart and play around with it (90° lens, M12 3.8-12mm varifocal). The price is now down to €57.99 (last summer it was still € 129.-)

But my main concern is the low audio bitrate of the AAC LC codec of only 128Kb/s. Please tell me how to increase the bitrate setting to 192Kb/s! I looked at each of the three HeroTune scripts, but I couldn´t find anything which looked like a tuning command to change the audio bitrate.

Thank you for your efforts
                      Last edited by Crispy; 02-20-2019, 10:25 PM.

Comment

$65.99 for US residents.

Comment

How can shot raw photo on gopro hero?
                          Как снять фото в raw на gopro hero?

Comment

• nutsey
                            nutsey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            В скрипт дописать:
                            t app test debug_dump 14
                        Working...
                        X