Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

GoPrawn.com needs your patronage! Please feel free to become a patron here. You can also make a one-time payment.
See more
See less

Firefly 8S MODx custom firmware.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't use this camera for any stuff like that. Do you have any ideas?
    I originally bought this camera to use underwater, but I've never got any usable underwater results - the red channel is totally crushed and there is never any detail left in the image. I have bought some glass red and magenta filters to try, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. Underwater may be better with your new Strong sharpening setting.

I also bought a smooth-q gimbal to use with the firefly in the hope that I might be able to mix some footage from the Firefly 8S with some Panasonic cinelike-v footage. I have used this a few times (it's useful for events), but the footage doesn't really match because of the sharpening. I always shoot in 4K, with a final output of 1080p. During daylight, I mostly have a Hoya ND32 attached as well to try and get some motion blur.

It would be great to have more control - manual ISO, manual shutter speed, switch sharpening off, switch noise reduction off, less contrast etc.
    The video footage always seems to have some crushed shadows and clipped highlights and a maxed-out dynamic range - does the camera use some kind of auto-contrast to make the lowest values go to zero and the highest ones go to 256?

Comment

• I have problem updating my U78 cam to U79. "Check firmware" message doesn't disappear. V version worked fine on my other cam which is V of course.
      Did you tested U version? What can be the problem?
      (U78 mod file works too, only U79 cannot update)

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine FF8S is 'V' version, so I can't test if the other works or not. Thanks for pointing out. I'll try to fix that with MOD7.1.

• Originally posted by glitterball View Post
      does the camera use some kind of auto-contrast to make the lowest values go to zero and the highest ones go to 256?
      Yes, it uses several approaches at a time to get RGB values aligned with the PC (full 0-255) range.
      Do you find this site useful and interesting? Please support it by donating here.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• FF8S MOD3.1

FF8SE MOD7.1
        Do you find this site useful and interesting? Please support it by donating here.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• Nutsey,
          today i tested your v79 mod7, but unfortunately i don't like it.
          Even when i set sharpness to "strong", i cannot have the details (in post!), what i have with stock firmware at "normal" sharpness.
          But stock fw is 50mbps at 2.5k/60p, and this is very low for high detail motion scenes (walking in a forest, etc).
          I often see compression errors, which is unacceptable to my eyes. 100mbps is a must here.

So i like to have a fw finally which is:
          -sharp in 4k/30, 2.5k/60p and 1080/120p all at 100mbps
          -has CA correction enabled
          -and stable

Can you make me/us such fw?..
          thanks!

Comment

• petesimon
            petesimon commented
            Editing a comment
            an "autoexec.ash" script with "writew 0x0.... " commands can achieve any high bit rate that you want (up to ~100 Mb/s)
            i did that for MODx 5.1 (version U 74) and we could do that again for stock version (V or U) 79.

see post #17 here - https://www.goprawn.com/forum/ambare...0782#post10782

• relaxman
            relaxman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, i installed v79 stock, and download the script,
            but still get 45-50mbps in 2.5k/60p superfine while i want 100.

What did i wrong?

#Bitrate fix for FF8S MOD5.1 custom firmware by nutsey for www.GoPrawn.com
            sleep 3
            #2k60/2k50
            #bit rate 0x428C = 70 Mb/s
            writew 0xA056B8A2 0x42C8
            writew 0xA056B8AA 0x3F80
            writew 0xA056B8B2 0x4238
            #1080p120/1080p100
            #bit rate 0x428C = 70 Mb/s
            writew 0xA056C322 0x42C8
            writew 0xA056C32A 0x3F80
            writew 0xA056C332 0x4238
            #// end of nutsey Goprawn script
            #// begin of petesimon script
            #
            # Quality S.Fine, 4k 16:9 30fps, 90 Mb/s
            writew 0xA056B712 0x42C8
            # Quality Fine, 4k 16:9 30fps, 70 Mb/s
            writew 0xA056B722 0x428C
            # Quality Normal, 4k 16:9 30fps, 40 Mb/s
            writew 0xA056B732 0x4220
            #// end of petesimon script

Maybe the address is different for v79? Can you search for me?

• Originally posted by relaxman View Post
          Nutsey,
          today i tested your v79 mod7, but unfortunately i don't like it.
          Even when i set sharpness to "strong", i cannot have the details (in post!), what i have with stock firmware at "normal" sharpness.
          But stock fw is 50mbps at 2.5k/60p, and this is very low for high detail motion scenes (walking in a forest, etc).
          I often see compression errors, which is unacceptable to my eyes. 100mbps is a must here.

So i like to have a fw finally which is:
          -sharp in 4k/30, 2.5k/60p and 1080/120p all at 100mbps
          -has CA correction enabled
          -and stable

Can you make me/us such fw?..
          thanks!
          Same from my side - would be very nice if possible.

Or, for me even a high bitrate script is enough wich is compatible with the latest firmware.
          Can somebody prepare it?
          Last edited by jkutya; 11-15-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• After nearly a year trying to get usable underwater footage from this camera, I have finally got somewhere.
            The underwater footage in this video was all shot using the Firefly 8s and the v79 Custom firmware. In order to get usable footage, I set the sharpness to strong - this is important as otherwise the noise reduction destroys all detail.
            To get the colour right, I used a glass FD filter (a magenta-looking version) attached to the underwater housing using a 58mm GoPro Hero 3 adapter that I bought on Ebay. I had tried many red filters - including glass Hoya filters, however the effect was too strong and the blue and green channels were destroyed as well as detail being lost. The plastic clip-on red filters worked better, but the optical quality was very poor and the image became very soft. The underwater white balance setting does not seem to do anything, so I ended up just leaving white balance on auto.

Comment

Working...
            X