No announcement yet.

Firefly 8S MODx custom firmware.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find the Video quality adjustments in MOD3 (from mod1 Kaliningrad) a little too aggressive for my taste (colours are a little more vivid, which might be good in some cases).
    It coul be really interesting if it is possible to have one fw with let's say 2-3 colour scenarios and select them from the menu. This way you could get some vivid footage directly with no post processing needed (e.g. MOD3) or some more flat video for further processing with a single choice.

Also the bitrates on "S.Fine" are very high for my micro SD to handle it so I have to select "Fine" which is a little lower than other high bitrate versions...

Nutsey, is it possible to also have a U72 MOD2 version?
    If yes, I will test it within this week.

Comment

Hi nutsey,
      thank you very much for your great work on the firmware. I have installed U72 MOD3 and want to report a few impressions.
      When I switch on raw picture mode in the menu I cannot convert the raw files with raw2dng_en.exe. It displays “FireFly (S Error: unsupported format”.
      Could you please reduce sharpness, contrast and saturation on 1080p50fps and 1080p100fps?
      I will carry on testing and report here.
      Best wishes!

Comment

Another issue with U72 MOD3: Sadly the photo function is not usable with my camera. In light parts of the photo I get strange colours. I have checked with all settings for image size, quality, metering, ISO settings, and also lowering EV. In ever image I get the same strange colour artefacts. These artefacts are not visible when using original U72 firmware.
        Last edited by JoeTrout; 03-06-2018, 07:39 AM. Reason: Problem solved! After switching back to regular U72 firmware and then re-installing MOD U2 there are no more colour artefacts. Problem with opening RAWs remains!

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for pointing out!

One problem solved! After switching back to regular U72 firmware and then re-installing MOD U72 there are no more colour artefacts - strange. But the problem with not being able to convert RAWs remains!
        I have done some sharpness corrections in Davinci Resolve for 4k footage shot with MOD U72 and compared it to footage shot with original U72 firmware. It looks so much better with Resolve editing!
        I would be realy great to have the video settings for 1080p resolution as it is currently for the 4K resolution. Maybe have it like this for the sharpness setting "normal" and when setting sharpness to "strong" use the current settings? Nutsey, do you think this is possible?

Comment

I did some test recording with 100fps.
          A little bit noisy, need lot of light, but its acceptable, i'm satisfied for such a low price:

https://youtu.be/eV2uB3nOS1s

Comment

• yyvon66
            yyvon66 commented
            Editing a comment
            nice video, which settings , video resolution, FOV ?
            are you in slow motion ?
            thanks

720/200p also possible with 1:1 pixel mapping or 2:1?

Comment

normal 1080/100p 1:1 pixel mapping, 100mbps. wide (lol) fov

Comment

• yyvon66
              yyvon66 commented
              Editing a comment
              yes ok, thanks, how do you make for these "slow" pictures ? it's nice

sony vegas pro, playback speed 0,25 = 25fps

Comment

Flat color mode could be good. Also there is another idea: Is it hard to make exposure change every frame? 60 fps -> 1 frame is dark, next frame is bright. Then we overlay 2 frames over each other (on PC) and get 30fps footage with more details (something similar to raw). This trick is implemented in Magic Lantern firmware for Canon.

Comment

Waiting for AE Tool update to edit table of expo on A12...

Comment

U72 Mod 3 works like a charm!. Great work, nutsey!
                  Sadly, I cannot use best quality setting in 1080/100 mode.
                  My micro sd card just cannot handle >100mpbs
                  Samsung Evo Plus 64 U3

Comment

• nutsey
                    nutsey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for your feedback!

Originally posted by Q100 View Post
                  U72 Mod 3 works like a charm!. Great work, nutsey!
                  Sadly, I cannot use best quality setting in 1080/100 mode.
                  My micro sd card just cannot handle >100mpbs
                  Samsung Evo Plus 64 U3
                  I had similar experience with 128GB Evo Plus U3 (2017), it seems it can handle stable continuous writing speeds only upto 85 Mbit/s even though it's been advertised having writing speeds upto 80 MB/s (maybe that's maximum burst speed). I would recommend for instance Sandisk Extreme instead which has no problem to keep up at least 110 Mbit/s (maybe more but that seems to be the upper limit for A12 chipset).
                  Last edited by Jantteri; 03-20-2018, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post
                    Hi there, thanks a lot for the very useful mod!

I'm having trouble with JPG and RAW pictures.

With V69 MOD1, V72 MOD2, and V72 MOD3, JPG images have a lot of noise in brighter parts of the images. This is reproducible every time. The only version where this DOESN'T happen is the V72 beta, linked here: goprawn.com/forum/ambarella-cams/3686-firefly-8s-a12-imx117?p=8838#post8838

As for the RAW images, they are extremely unusably noisy and pixelated. The result is the same with all MODx versions. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot.
                    Another thing I noticed: I really appreciate how MODx allows changing the FOV for most video modes. But for some reason FOV can't be modified in 1080p resolution *EXCEPT* for 1080p x 120fps. Could it also be enabled for the other 1080p framerates? Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post

Another thing I noticed: I really appreciate how MODx allows changing the FOV for most video modes. But for some reason FOV can't be modified in 1080p resolution *EXCEPT* for 1080p x 120fps. Could it also be enabled for the other 1080p framerates? Thanks a lot!
                      I second that, if it's possible it would be a nice addition for 1080p resolution.Thank you!

Comment

i wait for 720/240p 1:1 mode.
                        Nutsey is it possible?

Comment

Working...
                        X