Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campark V30: how to *reduce* the video bitrate for HEVC/X265/H265 recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campark V30: how to *reduce* the video bitrate for HEVC/X265/H265 recording?

Howdy,

Does anyone know how to change the X265/H265/HEVC bitrate for the Compark V30? Mine is recording (at 1080p30, haven't tested other modes) at a ridiculously high 16MB/s, which in my experience is a terrible waste of SDCard/Disk space -- and later of bandwidth, time/CPU for copying/processing, etc.

I would very much like to reduce the bitrate to 6MB/s -- which in my experience is more than enough for X265 1080p30 video and would result in files almost 3 times smaller.

Have already gone through the menus, the manual etc but could not find anything.

Can anyone help?

TIA,
    -- Durval.

Do you have a firmware update file for this device?
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
      Do you have a firmware update file for this device?
      Hi
      nutsey
      _m_o0_m_
      nutsey, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Nope, no firmware update file -- and to make matters worse, the camera isn't even listed in Amazon anymore (I read somewhere they were caught paying customers for reviews and then banned), so no way to request it through Amazon -- to say nothing about posting a bad review describing the problem so they feel compelled to help.

Fortunately the camera has been working reasonably well otherwise (what I like best is the battery duration, getting almost 2h from each battery here, the rest is kinda so-so). To work around the stupidly high bitrate issue, I'm recording in X264 (where the bitrate is also stupidly high at almost 20Mbps -- and that for 1080p) and then transcoding to x265 on my laptop for archival. Bothersome, but at least it works.

For what it's worth, I see no option for "firmware update" anywhere in the camera's menus; the only option mentioning anything similar is in "Settings / About" and it shows "SoftVersion: // Campark-V30-20200703", with no button nor selection for updating; perhaps it would turn on the option and/or automatically start the update if there was a proper update file in the SD card, tho.

Anyway, I sent an email about that to Compark's support as listed on their website, if/when they reply I will post it here.

Cheers,
      -- Durval.

Comment

Working...
      X