Non-distortion M12 lens roundup test.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-distortion M12 lens roundup test.

I'm planing to compare several popular M12 ~90-degree lenses. At the moment I've got high quality 3.87mm, 4.35mm, 4.1mm and a couple of $10 4.35mm in hand. Hope to get one more 4.2mm lens from 4K Lens Aliexpress online store to have almost full gamut of available spare non-distortion M12 lenses in ~4mm focus distance range.

So what I am planning to test and estimate:
    • Field of view (FOV)
    • Resolution
    • Softness in corners
    • Level of distortion (if any noticeable will be found)
    • Chromatic aberrations
    • Bright light source lens flare
    • Contrast loss with side light source
    • Overall price-performance ratio

Please advise if you have any additional test ideas or I forgot some interesting lenses to include to my test.

PS: An Ambarella A12-based action cam with 1/2.3" Sony IMX117 sensor will be used as a test rig for this comparison as it can shoot true 4K30 vids and has built-in ability to record in superview mode.
    PPS: I'm also thinking about using an A7 cam with IMX117 for shooting RAW photos with different lenses.
    Last edited by nutsey; 02-07-2017, 06:11 PM.

any news on this? Looking for a recommendation for non distortion lens for my H8 Plus.

Comment

schnurbi Not yet. But the 3.87mm one seems to be the best value for its price now.

Comment

thanks, thats what I thought.

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          You might want to use a lens shade with it.

schnurbi

Comment

• schnurbi
          schnurbi commented
          Editing a comment
          looks awesome :-D

Don't know if you've played with any lenses yet, I assume cheap is good. I got this one on Amazon; Xenocam 2.8 - 12mm. I had to add a IR filter on the back off another lense for color corrections. I plan on using to film opposing view of batters without using the electronic zoom of the Lightdow LD-4K.
        A couple comparisions and camera; the wideangle is the stock lens that came with the camera.

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I also have this zoom-lens. It's nice for the price, but I don't use it due to severe chromatic aberrations it shows.

By the way, it's pretty handy to use digital zoom for focusing.

It seems to me, this would be a nice place to drop a video, what would be the best way to share here?

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe the best way at the moment is google drive. You can watch there online or download unprocessed footage if needed.

any updates on this yet nutsey? I've been doing a little research into lenses. I might want to swap out the lens on my T5e once it arrives to eliminate the fisheye effect and give me a tighter field of view so I can use it for recording with the night vision scope and have a normal rectangle instead of circle view. I saw lots of lens swaps on other brands but none on the T5e. .

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm waiting my A0-sized resolution/distortion test target to be printed.
          Here is how T5 performs with 3.8mm lens: http://uploads.ru/qUM7r.jpg

I like that field of view. Plus that image is reasonably sharp even on the edges. When blown up to full size, you can see some minor blur noticeable mostly in the darker areas but not bad at all. Which lens was it and how much? I looked at that site you posted and they have so many lenses!!! I would have no idea on which one to get so will be watching your shootout with great interest. Since I got my T5e at a very good price ($115 shipped with insurance)... I don't mind spending a bit on a lens upgrade especially if it improves my low light performance I've seen some online going crazy with huge lenses with tons of light gathering. I wont go that far but would be nice to get bit more light gathering if that is out there and doesn't double the cost of the camera.

Comment

that's solid performance from the $30 lens. Obviously if the $10 lens performed equally... it would be a total bargain. Course usually when it comes to lenses... you do get what you pay for. At least that is the way it has been for me with my dslr gear. I'm pretty solid on my digital cameras but not much experience with the action cams. I was thinking would be nice to keep the lens cost to $35 which would bring my investment to about $150. I will be watching this thread for any updates you post. I could just start off with that cheap lens to have something to try. Have you used it and is it about on par with the stock lens quality wise?

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I have a couple of these 10-buck lenses.
          This is how it performs with a cheap 8MP IMX179 sensor:

Thanks for posting the video. That actually wasn't bad for a $10 lens. Seemed like the sharpness was about on par with the vids I've seen from the stock lens. I am looking for a nice sharp image so I think I will spend a bit more and get one of the higher grade lenses. The $20 difference in price will be forgotten quickly but the image difference will show up in every pic. I don't expect a low priced action cam to work wonders but if I can capture images like that still you posted... I think that would be a good price to performance balance. I'll be watching for any updates you post up. I'm also going to do some searching online to see what lenses are out there that would be compatible with my camera. I definitely like the tighter field of view. The wide angle has way too much distortion around the edges. 90 degrees is much more useful than 170 degrees imho.

Comment

Just checking in to see if you have any updates Nutsey. I am thinking I should go ahead and order a lens since it will take a while to get here and I am for sure going to be wanting something with about 90 degree field of view to eliminate the fisheye still give a reasonable fov. I have been reading that some fit in the original case while others don't. It would be very nice to be able to use the waterproof case so I guess that will be one of my limiting factors. I wonder if that $30 lens you posted the sample from will still fit in the original case?

Comment

Treeye now has a 4.25 mm focal length lens available with (supposedly) very low distortion and 73* horizontal fov.

It's very pricey at $61, and at 23.5mm diameter it's also very large. Wonder how it compares though.

Comment

• nutsey
              nutsey commented
              Editing a comment
              20MP is also very impressive.

i've learned not to trust spec numbers when it comes to aliexpress, dhgate, etc., they will write anything if they think it will sell more that way. they make up numbers all the time

Comment

Working...
            X