Elephone Elite - Questions about firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephone Elite - Questions about firmware

Hi, I've a few question about Elecam Elite cam: according to Elephone this cam is a NT96660 + IMX078 device.

So apparently, the Elite is sharing the same basic HW of the sister Elecam Pro and of the SJ5000x, both quite diffused and positively reputed AC.

Unfortunately the FW of Elite is not really optimized and despite of the good HW platform, the camera has quite bad scores in the buyers feedbacks on different markets (es. amazon...).

Once more unfortunately, neither the Pro nor SJ500x FW are compatible with Elite.

Till now , I have not been able to find any FW mod of the Elite and it is quite curious, because modders could get a reasonable performing cam for the todays price of 50/60 bucks.

The only fw "claimed" compatible is related to a misterius clone SJ9000, no name or extral/excelvan (*)

Elephone is now starting to sell his action cams under the new dedicated brand MGcool, a contemporary release of better firmware for old models could give a positive note to this rebranding...

I would appreciate your comments or suggestions, thanks

L

(*): http://crazytom.com/a/SJ9000/Extral-...m-Firmware.php

Originally posted by Larsene View Post
    Unfortunately the FW of Elite is not really optimized
    Elephone is now starting to sell his action cams under the new dedicated brand MGcool, a contemporary release of better firmware for old models
    Hi, could you please specify the main problems for the Elite cam?

Unfortunately, I don't think MGcool will provide any user support for older models.
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Glad to be wrong concerning MGcool support.

Here is 20161223V1.0 firmware update for Explorer Elite action camera: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4t...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• petesimon
        petesimon commented
        Editing a comment
        nutsey - will this work on a SJ8000/SJ9000 NTK 96660 camera http://ali.onl/COL ?
        or what firmware update will work on that camera?

Great!

You've been much faster than me: yesterday I discovered that Gearbest is now offering the Elite for 54 euros, but mainly they are suggesting two differents apps for remote control of the camera.
      One for the original firmware, the other for a FW20161223V1.0... That meant the existence of such FW... I wrote Gearbest to tell me more about it... But you have been a lightning!

About the old FW problems: I didn't make very deep test but the gyro stabilization is not really effective and randomly there is a kind of a sort of beat, a "screen return line" running up across the screen... Some user refer to a waving effect in the image when Gyro is activated. Moreover Gyro is not compatible with HDR mode

Some users described similar problems affecting Elecam Pro, that were solved by a FW upgrade introduced on summer 2016. This upgrade have been told to improve the image quality too.

So, I'm very curious... may I ask where did you find it?

Thank you a lot

L.

PS: two interesting comparative tests of Elite are here. They have been done not too far from where I live...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKOWm3mkFhM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFBK4XFjXaQ

Comment

Sure.

http://www.mgcool.cc/download/EliteFW20161223V1.0.rar

Comment

I mean...where else?

;-)

Comment

Well done!

Thank you again

Comment

WARNING for the readers!!!!

I've tryed to diffuse the supposed good news about a new FW for Elite, but there is people (jfp) reporting the upgrade with 20161223V1.0 bricks the camera.
              The 20161223V1.0 is available both on MGcool website as wel as on Gearbest, the file is the same hawing the same hash.

source: http://bbs.elephone.hk/forum.php?mod...7#.WG4fCNaAN2M

too nice to be true...

Comment

WARNING for the readers!!!!

I've tryed to diffuse the supposed good news about a new FW for Elite, but there is people (jfp) reporting the upgrade with 20161223V1.0 bricks the camera.
                The 20161223V1.0 is available both on MGcool website as wel as on Gearbest, the file is the same hawing the same hash.

source: http://bbs.elephone.hk/forum.php?mod...7#.WG4fCNaAN2M

too nice to be true...
                Just to clear up and 'jfp'.is correct.
                * First -Had Gearbest re-send the f/w RAR file just in case corrupt during emailing and both GB downloads had same hash [3da2b560f3d0e9711304141f8a59085a]

* Second - Have compared MGCOOL with GB FW96660A.bin but unfortunately they do look the same. Compared the FW files.MD5sum of GB with the MGCOOL file from Larsene BOTH same #[6fe6d207e4e25a588710ce13b775e9ac]

EDIT- the Elephone Forum is a nightmare to follow. There is no Main Thread at all for Elite like they have for Pro and the old Explorer 4K (Allwinner chipst)
                Last edited by AussieKev; 01-06-2017, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Great!

You've been much faster than me: yesterday I discovered that Gearbest is now offering the Elite for 54 euros, but mainly they are suggesting two differents apps for remote control of the camera.
                  One for the original firmware, the other for a FW20161223V1.0... That meant the existence of such FW... I wrote Gearbest to tell me more about it... But you have been a lightning!

About the old FW problems: I didn't make very deep test but the gyro stabilization is not really effective and randomly there is a kind of a sort of beat, a "screen return line" running up across the screen... Some user refer to a waving effect in the image when Gyro is activated. Moreover Gyro is not compatible with HDR mode

Some users described similar problems affecting Elecam Pro, that were solved by a FW upgrade introduced on summer 2016. This upgrade have been told to improve the image quality too.

Thank you a lot

L.
                  GearBest sent me the Elite Version 20161223V1.0 - https://mega.nz/#!EtYEESIQ!HEajhKZh-...fHKGnjAk3LcdWQ
                  to upgrade and to run the Elite_V2 WiFi APP. Funny thing that Version 20161223V1.0 won't update in old Elite cams. Great ... just great.

I contacted GearBest again but they just keep sending same old F/W file 1223v1.0..
                  technically the F/W should load. File inspection shows correct codes for cam type, f/w version, sensor type etc and base version FW96660T.bin loader. I'm stumped
                  Last edited by AussieKev; 01-07-2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

OK it seems the original 20160722v1.0 Elite has one upgrade 20160810v1.0 and that's it. Works only with original limited menu ELE Elite App
                    Now we have a new Elite - Version: 20161118V1.0 with one upgrade 20161223v1.0 and designed for the highly improved Elite APP V 2

Neither versions are interchangeable. F/W will not work.

Comment

Hi aussiekev, I had the older elite but found this link did update it to use the newer software. It works a treat. You must give it a go.
                      https://www.goprawn.com/forum/action...e-20170208v1-0
                      the only thing is that on updating the flashing led did not stop. Just leave it a minute then unplug the USB and the update works. Much much better.
                      Again I had the first version of the elite back last November.

Comment

• AussieKev
                        AussieKev commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for this, have d/l the files and guide. Yes, that is an issue, should stop but if it is just a signal to set/reset "blink" LED's that has hung it will have nothing to do with the FW96660 f/w and possibly just the loader, which will be deleted on boot up.

Hello

I updated the latest version I got this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrm7gf60cx...35026.mp4?dl=0 Blue and red colours are shifted. I tried downgrade to older fw and back, but nothing happened. What to do? Recorded images and videos are correct.

Comment

• nutsey
                        nutsey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi,
                        Seems like Elephone changed the LCD controller model for the latest batches.

• AussieKev
                        AussieKev commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same happened with the Extral SJ9000 series of upgrades, Elite uses Novatek SJ9000 circuit boards.. Screen palette problems with LCD but vids/pics were OK.
                        Just gets better and better with Elephone.
                        Last edited by AussieKev; 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM.

Originally posted by Tonyworks View Post
                      Hi aussiekev, I had the older elite but found this link did update it to use the newer software. It works a treat. You must give it a go.
                      https://www.goprawn.com/forum/action...e-20170208v1-0
                      the only thing is that on updating the flashing led did not stop. Just leave it a minute then unplug the USB and the update works. Much much better.
                      Again I had the first version of the elite back last November.
                      Hi Tony,
                      Got mine in August and has green L 1027 (660) circuit boards, noticed some have yellow circuit boards. Possibly a later version of the "V1" and a DIFFERENT LCD screen setup! As with Extral SJ9000 the minor change inverts colours on screen!
                      As mine is older and Toonio had this problem, I think we are back to square one.

Comment

I made a photo, what I found under the first panel of camera. Maybe someone can help me to identify, what version it is?

Comment

• AussieKev
                          AussieKev commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mine is 2015 07 22 so hopefully yours 2016 03 18 is on the good side of the Elite V1 issue? I was about to do the upgrade until others had colour inversion problems.
                          I am ASSUMING the "2016" circuit board versions are the good ones but NOT sure.
                      Working...
                      X