Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EZVIZ S2 action/dash camera (NT96660+AR0237).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZVIZ S2 action/dash camera (NT96660+AR0237).

Shot with a custom firmware by hc1982 and this 4mm f/1.2 3MP lens. Check video description for raw file download link.
    Last edited by nutsey; 06-24-2020, 10:39 AM.
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Nice, was this with the EIS on? I bought one of these to use as an impromptu security camera and it's pretty good, except for a few quirks. You have to be in dashcam mode to get a time/date stamp on video. This would be fine, except the loop record in dashcam mode creates 5 minute videos vs the 30 minute videos in non-dash mode. I tried using your tools to at least boost bitrates but the resulting file would not flash, but I have no real idea what I'm doing there so I'm not surprised. I was able to sniff the traffic from their EZVIZ sports App and trick the camera into giving me a RTSP video feed in a regular VLC window. With some custom scripting you could use it for some interesting remotely controlled projects. I wonder if hc1982 documented his lens swap. A non-IR lens would be a nice addition. I ended going back to the git1 with your guys mods for my 'security cam' project, but if you're modding this camera now then maybe that will change.

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      The EIS was off as you can't get any proper EIS at FullHD with a FullHD sensor at all.

• streaml1ne
      streaml1ne commented
      Editing a comment
      That explains the quality loss when I turned it on

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually I can't notice any difference when EIS is on except image crop. It does not seem to be useful.

Have you noticed on your S2 that when the SD card fills the loop record doesn't start overwriting old files and just throws an SD card error?

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      What fw version do you use?

• streaml1ne
      streaml1ne commented
      Editing a comment
      v2.1.6.18.03.15

I tried flashing the one they had on their website a couple weeks ago which was supposedly 2.1.9-something as I recall, but it never changed the version numbers on my camera even though it said the flash was complete. EZVIZ support wasn't very helpful.

• streaml1ne
      streaml1ne commented
      Editing a comment
      Just tried to redownload and reflash, same issue. Version stays 2.1.6... Either they have the old version linked to the upgrade pack on their website or it's a typo in the release notes. If you have a firmware version where the loop record works properly and can put it up on Drive I'd appreciate it. Despite the quirks I do like the hardware on this camera, it would just be nice if they spent some time fixing the minor bugs it has, but it seems EZVIZ isn't doing much more in the action cam business now.

Latest version of official firmware (2.1.9) could be downloaded here.

Comment

• streaml1ne
      streaml1ne commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man, this did the trick. Definitely a different sha1 than the file they host on the ezviz website.

So is the firmware for the S2 uncompressed from EZVIZ? I was able to open the original bin file and inspect it and run the NTK bitrate program on it, but the resulting file doesn't flash. If I then compress it, can the camera take that image instead? I'm assuming there's some kind of internal checksum in the file that has to be recalculated, but I'm not seeing how that's done with the existing NTK firmware tools. None of the outputs I get compressed or otherwise look right in terms of file size compared with the original binary.

Comment

Working...
    X