Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 4K highest bitrate etc Cam

Hi all, new here!

I've read a lot of posts here for quite some time off and on. But so far I'm not sure of the best cam for me.

I've had an original HD Blackmagic Cinema Camera for a few years but I'd really like to get into decent, stabilized, higher bitrate 4K. I've done some 4K with my LG G4 at about 200mbps which is pretty amazing but sometimes freezes etc is finicky (although BeastGrip DOF adapters are pretty tempting, a new non-action cam maybe makes more sense, than investing in phone videography).

I've been considering the 8SE 90fov for a while now. Is there a model anyone can recommend considering:

4K (any do 24fps?) Don't need 60fps
    Image stabilization at 4K
    Shutter speed lockable
    ISO lockable
    Turn down or Off any sharpening or noise reduction
    Flatter picture profile (from hacks I assume)
    (Looking like there is no "easy" interchangable lens methods? But I'm not afraid to try)
    Around $100-$150 USD ?
    Mostly shooting nature/wildlife, street scenes, so not actually action-style stuff at all probably, but definitely want stabilization)

I really love there is a 90fov option on the 8SE. That alone might be worth it to me, after seeing nutsey's stills! But I have a couple C-mount lenses and m4/3 and random older 35mm lenses (all easily adaptable to m4/3. So maybe could get into physical lens/sensor depth hacking... maybe. 😁)

So generally, looking for "best" quality/bitrate 4K action cam instead of saving for a Lumix GX8 or GoPro etc. Otherwise I probably wouldn't get anything for a long while yet.

Thank you for reading and any guidance/opinions!
    Last edited by waterrock; 09-01-2019, 04:34 AM.

SJCAM SJ8 Plus looks to be pretty close to your demands. After some firmware tweaking of course...
    Donate here if you want to support this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Ok thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
        SJCAM SJ8 Plus looks to be pretty close to your demands. After some firmware tweaking of course...
        Hi again! Would the SJCAM SJ8 Pro be a good option? I can't find a lot about the SJ8 Plus, but it seems to have skipping frames with 4K30 stabilization. Although the Pro is a bit more expensive.

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          The Pro has less settings and is more buggy.

Wow ok thank you! I would have never known that! Could you point me to the Plus thread on here? I can't find it.

Also, unless there's already a thread about this too, what would be the disadvantage of the Firefly 8SE 90 or 180 compared to the SJ8 Plus? Fewer settings? More difficult to mod the lens?

Edit: Just donated on patreon, this site is gold!

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          The 8SE is a great cam if the lack of EIS for modes above 1080p60 and overheating issues are ok for you.

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          SJ8 Plus custom fw thread: https://www.goprawn.com/forum/novate...ustom-firmware

But I've decided not to share it until getting the cam and testing everything out.

• waterrock
          waterrock commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh ok, so I probably shouldn't buy one for myself until you have the cam to test with?

nutsey, hi sir can you let us know if you have tested the firmware 1.0.5 on sj8 plus yet? thanks a lot

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Unfortunately I don't have an SJ8 Plus.
      Working...
      X