Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best low-cost cam that can match the *still photo FOV* of a Hero 4 Black (not the quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the revision you asked for. I'm modifying my panohead for an extra lateral row that I hope will compensate for the limited FOV of other cameras and perhaps deal with the stitching problem that I think is caused by lens distortion at wider FOVs.

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That means you've got the Sony IMX206 sensor under the hood. It does not really make sense for pano shooting use, but some script image quality adjustements will vary.

So, you're making 3x4 head, right?

• Aussiemandias
      Aussiemandias commented
      Editing a comment
      So, if that sensor is not good, is there a cheap Yi that has a decent sensor?

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      The IMX206 sensor is good enough for pano shooting. Newer Yi revisions have 16Mp Panasonic MN34120 which is slightly better for low-light shooting.

• Aussiemandias
      Aussiemandias commented
      Editing a comment
      Would that include the Yi Lite? I can't tell on some spec sheets if it has a Sony sensor or a Panasonic sensor.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      The Lite cam is also based on the IMX206, but the SoC provides very limited functionality comparing to the original Yi camera. First of all I'm talking about scripts.

Yeah. That's the dream anyway. I'll see if I've got it right this evening when I finish printing the new design.

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck! Those 3D printing devices become more and more useful with each day

• Aussiemandias
      Aussiemandias commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed! I got tired of paying to get things made. Too expensive. I can rapid prototype for a fraction of the cost.

Here's my test with the Yi: https://kuula.co/post/7Y5jF

It almost, almost worked with the Apexcam, but there were still a few holes in the pano that needed filling. But very close and makes me think if it was 3x5, it would work.

Comment

• Aussiemandias
      Aussiemandias commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's the thing I don't understand. This Yi has a 150-degree FOV lens, right? Then why don't cameras that claim to have 170-degree FOV produce photos with even better overlap?

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks nice!

Today I tried 5+1 setup (5 portrait pano shots in one row with 72-degree gaps + 1 to the zenith). Seems to be very effective (~70MP) considering only 6 shots are needed. Unfortunately it is very hard to stitch it right when using 2 cams: one with ~120 HFOV for 5 radials and another one with much wider (~150 degree) lens for the zenith.

• Aussiemandias
      Aussiemandias commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's a variation of today's 360 photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqQVdqgl...id=b7jxreo5c75

I finished printing my pano mount for a very cheap, limited FOV cam. The differences in ISO setting are apparent. It's clearly not a good camera, with odd solarization effects and terrible noise, but that wasn't the main aim here - it's to see if I could put practically any action cam in the mount and produce a reasonable 360x180 pano.
    Low-cost Pano Head with Apex Cam Action Camera.

Comment

This is the cam plus my latest pano head design, freshly printed. So, I'm thinking a Yi Lite as my bare minimum for photo quality. What I did like about this cheapie Apex Cam is the wristband remote. I wish Yi had them. I want simplicity for student users.

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks cool!

The Yi BT remote costs ~USD 4-5 and it can be used with a Xiaomi Band bracelet for another 0.50.

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! Thanks!

Another shot taken just now.
      Low-cost Pano Head with Apex Cam Action Camera. Second test shot.

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! My Yi is barely capable shooting something like this with portrait 5+5 setup.

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        I must admit that this is a 15 photo composite. 5x5x5

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Here is how my current 5+5 Yi setup shoots: https://goo.gl/maps/i12SrRyduKN2

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks great! I like the aspect as well. You've got lots of cool archaeology to capture. I'm switching back to the Yi myself, now that I've proven that a very cheap action cam can do the job with the right pano head. I'm going to start playing around with scripts and such to get better quality out of the camera. It won't quite match the GoPro, but it should do ok. What have you been using in the past to do your panos?

Originally posted by Aussiemandias View Post
      It won't quite match the GoPro
      I belive it's possible to leave the gopro behind.

Originally posted by Aussiemandias View Post
      What have you been using in the past to do your panos?
      I'm not quite sure about what you mean. I've shot my first pano ever something like ten days ago.
      Donate here if you want to support this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, when I looked at your pano of the ruins, it seemed to be in a set of Google Streetview images under one username that dated back quite a while. But I guess they were other people's images.

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        So, what's the best script to use for better panos on the Xiaomi Yi Action Cam (for the one I'm using)? I want HDR if possible plus exposure lock.

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        I think 6 exposures are not needed here. 3 or even 2 (one slightly under- and one overexposed) would be enough.

Here's the first Xiaomi Yi test with the finished pano mount.
      Low-cost pano mount test with Xiaomi-Yi Action Camera (Original) - Black Squirrel Books, Ottawa, Canada. https://www.blacksquirrelbooks.ca

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

This is the hardware. Shot with one of your HDR scripts (3 as suggested).

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it 4x4 setup?

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Very easy stitching. No adjustments at all.

DJI has released its Osmo Pocket action camera with automatic 3x3 pano shooting and stitching. The cam seems to be based on the newest Ambarella CV22 SoC and Sony IMX377 CMOS sensor.

Comment

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I saw. It's clever repackaging because it's really a repurposed drone camera and gimbal.

I've completed my design. I decided to sell it at a slim margin.
      At Seigi Media, we’re interested in your story. We want you to get started making 360-degree, immersive podcasts and virtual tours right away! This doesn’t …

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        "3D-printed (in wood)"
        What kind of filament is this?

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! In fact, bamboo is grass not wood

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, that's just a random link I threw up there. I'm not actually sure what wood particles are in the filament that I'm using. But it smells so much better than ABS. If I'm printing the latter I usually cover up the printer and close the door.

BTW, I'm using your HDR-EXPO-3 script and it's excellent - it's ideal for students who just need a simple process to capture good quality shots. But I'd like to add the capability to capture RAW. Is that an easy addition?

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        Adding some strings, removing some strings, adjusting delays for saving more data. Not a big deal. I'll share the script with RAW support soon.

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. I have also seen someone post about a 'superview' setting in a script (or firmware?) as well. That might roughly correlate to what I'm getting out of the GoPro and might reduce the number of shots necessary.

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        That's not a real 'superview'. A simple aspect ratio trick with full-frame 4:3 image resized into 16:9 ratio. Worked for videos only as we already get 4:3 for stills.

Testing the script. An HDR pic rendered from 3 RAWs:

Comment

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        There ya go. That's looking good.

Aussiemandias Here is the script that saves 3 RAW files using AE bracketing technique.

HDR-EXPO3-RAW.zip

You can try reducing the sleep X values after #data saving delay if your memory card is fast enough.

Comment

• Aussiemandias
        Aussiemandias commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers mate! I'll give it a spin tomorrow if the weather is good.

In the meantime, here's a pano I created today. Bridge in the distance is a little blown out but I think that the HDR might give me a better chance of retrieving the detail and correcting exposures if I can do the same shots again tomorrow.
      Rideau River Sunset - Xiaomi Yi Seigi-Hexa Pano rig test.

Comment

Working...
      X