Clear All

• Still photo optimization

I am looking for a still photo solution. Budget up to 200EUR,
    FOV<100deg, weight<150g, RAW ability. It is highly desirable to have
    scripting ability, for example: timelapse with different exposures and
    ISOs repeating continuously.

One option is the new HawkEye Firefly X 90deg (Ambarella H22/Sony
    IMX377), and I hope that extra price is worth (compared to 8SE
    90deg). Though I am not sure if it is really fully scriptable.

Still, I keep wondering if I could do a better job by pairing some
    cheaper camera, but still good dynamic range, and replace its stock
    lens with some bright lens. There are 4-5mm M12 lens on aliexpress
    for 30$ - 80$. Supposedly F/2.0 available, or even F/1.8. Faster
    shutter speeds would help me a lot. Are those lens sharp enough
    though? I have found some framegrabs from 4K videos and it looks
    promising, so maybe.

Funny side question, what will look less ugly: ISO3200 with good lens,
    or ISO400 with low res "starlight" lens?

Any thoughts or recommendation? Either on camera or lens.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by perapera View Post
    what will look less ugly: ISO3200 with good lens,
    or ISO400 with low res "starlight" lens?
    Both would look quite bad.
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• perapera
      perapera commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm. Are those "starlight" lens on aliexpress really that low res? Some youtube videos didn't look that bad to me.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got several of them (fisheye, 4mm and 6mm). All are good enough for 1080p video, but not suitable for 5+ MP stills due to low resolution.

• perapera
      perapera commented
      Editing a comment
      nutsey: I know you had plans to make tests of bunch of lenses. But that is a lot of work. Would it be maybe possible that you dump somewhere whatever still images you have so far from various lenses?

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      This would make any sense only for stills captured with the same cam in similar lighting conditions and with manual exposure. This is exactly what I was planning to do.

I think a Canon or Nikon photo camera that can be programmed or automated via buttons or via a Wifi or USB connection would be best. Unfortunately I am unaware of which camera model to look for because most of those are beyond my $ budget.

Comment

Originally posted by petesimon View Post
      I think a Canon or Nikon photo camera that can be programmed or automated via buttons or via a Wifi or USB connection would be best. Unfortunately I am unaware of which camera model to look for because most of those are beyond my $ budget.
      I was perhaps not clear. This is a script I used this morning with my Xiaomi Yi:
      Code:
      # !!!!!! *** USE NORMAL PHOTO MODE *** !!!!!!!
      # enable scene mode: portrait[14] (uses bit longer exposures or lower iso)
      #t cal -sc 14
      # turn off de-noise (there is already de-noise applied before this, even on ISO100):
      t ia2 -adj tidx -1 0 -1

while true
      do
      # 1361=1/198s -->
      t ia2 -ae exp 0 1361 0
      lu_util exec 'sleep 0.1'
      t app key shutter
      t app key shutter_rel
      lu_util exec 'sleep 3.3'

#THIS IS ISO100
      t ia2 -ae exp 100 0 0
      lu_util exec 'sleep 0.1'
      t app key shutter
      t app key shutter_rel
      lu_util exec 'sleep 3.3'

#THIS WOULD BE FULL AUTO
      #t ia2 -ae exp 0 0 0
      done
      The above script alternates 1/198s and ISO100 every 3.4s. For about 1-2 hours. Then I review the sequence and pick a few good stills. Why? Light is changing and action was also changing. Bit slow, then bit faster. Logic is that either ISO100 will capture what I need, or shutter priority 1/198s will. This works most of the time for me. Actually I wish I could do this also on my big Panasonic camera.

Would it be possible to do the above or similar script on Firefly X? Or Firefly 8SE, or 9?
      (I am not sure, but it looks promising to me after skimming through some topics on this forum.)

Xiaomi Yi is great camera. It served me well. But it is slow. Especially with RAW. It cant dump RAW faster than 9-10s. And FOV is too big for my taste. And I also have some strange bugs: while doing the above script sequence if I turn WiFi on, and then off, it just stops dumping images.

Comment

Originally posted by perapera View Post
        Would it be possible to do the above or similar script on Firefly X? Or Firefly 8SE, or 9?
        I've just released MOD3 custom firmware for Firefly 8SE with manual exposure scripting support.

I don't know if it can be done with Firefly X as I don't have this camera. Firefly 9 is not capable of such scripting at all.
        Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• perapera
          perapera commented
          Editing a comment
          That is great about Firefly 8SE!
          I now realized that scripting is more of an accident + hacking work by community.
          Firefly X also has H22/IMX377 like SJCAM SJ8 Pro. I am now browsing forums to see if the latter supports scripting. Doesn't look promising so far.

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think IMX377 has any noticeable advantage over IMX117 for stills.

• perapera
          perapera commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks nutsey. Plus 8SE is significantly cheaper So yeah, I will now buy one.
      Working...
      X