Scriptable action cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptable action cam?

I'm looking for an action cam that can record 2.7Kp60 or 1440p60 and that I stand a chance to hack so I can script its operation a bit. Specifically, at power-up I'd like to scan for wifi networks and if it's my home network then upload files to a server, and if it's my phone network then sync time via NTP. I assume this means I will have to be able to unpack the firmware filesystem, add some files, perhaps compile a simple C application, and then repack and update. I know this stuff will require quite some work on my end to figure it all out. What I can't tell is whether there is a camera where I have a chance to accomplish the above or whether I'm just dreaming... So far it seems the Firefly 8SE is probably my best bet, but the Apeman A87 (or A100) with HiSilicon chipset may be an alternative?

Originally posted by tve View Post
    it seems the Firefly 8SE is probably my best bet
    I also think this camera suits your needs. Probably you even don't have to create your own app as almost everything (like enabling station mode, scanning wifi networks etc) can be sone with shell scripts.
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• tve
      tve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Unfortunately it looks like the prices for the 8SE have jumped up dramatically :-(.

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
    Probably you even don't have to create your own app as almost everything (like enabling station mode, scanning wifi networks etc) can be sone with shell scripts.
    Sorry for the dumb question, to run scripts on that camera, is there a modified firmware I'd flash that executes scripts from the sdcard?

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Stock firmwares run the 'autoexec.ash' ambashell script from the memory card. My custom firmwares expand the commands list available to run from it.

• tve
      tve commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for confirming the autoexec.ash. Does this mean that the new firefly X likely also runs autoexec.ash? It's almost the same price as the 8SE...

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know as I don't have it.
Working...
X