360 action camera rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 action camera rig

Hi all, I'm writing to ask you advice to choose the best camera to make a 360 action camera rig.
    The main purpose is to take 360 photos with a great quality as fast as possible (it is not important to stitch the photos in real time, I can do that later).
    At the moment I use two methods:
    - using a Ricoh Theta S, fast and easy to use, but inadequate quality for my project.
    - using a motorized pan tilt head with and action cam (an Apeman A80), controlled with a raspberry pi. The quality is good but it is really slow (at least 2-3 minutes for a shot).
    Looking around and thinking I got the idea that the best way to accomplish my mission is to build a 360 rig (I've seen it made with GoPros)
    So I've 3d printed the frame (as you can see in pictures) planning to use 6 Apeman A80 to make 360 photos and, as side effect, to make 360 video.
    BUT, with my action cam:
    1) The first problem was wifi: I could not set the camera in client mode and this makes more difficult the hardware and software configuration.
    2) The real HFOV of the Apeman A80 is not 170 degrees (as can be set from menu) but at a maximum of 90 degrees. This value is not enough to have a smooth stitching (I think that even 100 degrees can be enough)

So I ask you advice to choose the cheapest camera that supports wifi client mode (or an that can be controlled from a raspberry in another way), has got enough HFOV, and takes high quality photos (the Apeman A80 takes photos at 20MP but I think are not really 20 MP).
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

Hi, I would recommend GitUp Git2 cams - they fit GoPro frames and can be controlled by the wire (wifi cli mode is also there).
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• LBag
      LBag commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thank you. I will try with one to check if I can use it for my project. Gitup 2P pro is the right model? I also see that it supports RAW photos, where can I found a sample?

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      There are several versions of Git2 cam: Git2 with Sony IMX206 (wide lens) and Git2P with Panasonic MN34120 (wide and no-distortion lenses).

Also consider that Git2P can be flashed with my custom firmware: https://www.goprawn.com/forum/action...-modx-firmware

I will share a couple of RAWs with high DD range later.

• LBag
      LBag commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, so if I see a Git2P with Sony IMX206, there is something wrong.. It is correct that the one with Panasonic sensor is most expensive? And when you say wide and no-distortion do you refer to two different models?
      Last edited by LBag; 06-10-2017, 01:33 PM.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      'P' in Git2P means Panasonic. And it should be cheaper than Git2 with Sony.
      Yes. There are two versions of Git2P available. Wide model has 170-degree lens (same with Git2) and no-distortion version uses more expensive and sharper one with 90-degree FOV and straight lines in the picture where they should be straight.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      LBag Here is a RAW still sample I shot today with my 90-degree Git2P: https://goo.gl/vPgx0i

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
    Hi, I would recommend GitUp Git2 cams - they fit GoPro frames and can be controlled by the wire (wifi cli mode is also there).
    nutsey - when you say 'controlled by the wire' - what do you mean? can they be triggered via USB like the Yi 4k AC? I'm working on building a rig, was looking at Yi 4K vs. GitUp - and the ONLY thing I like about the Yi 4K is that they have USB-pin diagram on Yi website for trigger wire with firmware to trigger ALL camera from 1 - can GitUp do this?
    Thanks!

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I was talking about this "wire": http://www.gitup.com/accessories/55-...itup-git2.html
      It uses HDMI connector, leaving USB socket free.

• LBag
      LBag commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that build the PWM cable (using the HDMI cable) is quite simple and you can connect it to a raspberry or similar (using a PWM pin), if you need to control it programmatically. I think that you can send the PWM signal from a pin to six cameras at the same time, syncing them.

Originally posted by VRvirl View Post

nutsey - when you say 'controlled by the wire' - what do you mean? can they be triggered via USB like the Yi 4k AC? I'm working on building a rig, was looking at Yi 4K vs. GitUp - and the ONLY thing I like about the Yi 4K is that they have USB-pin diagram on Yi website for trigger wire with firmware to trigger ALL camera from 1 - can GitUp do this?
    Thanks!
    Thanks! This looks interesting - trigger record for 6 cameras - doesn't say anything about linking them - do you know if this helps to sync cameras for multiple camera rig? This is only for 6 cameras, is it possible to expand that? I want to build 8 or 12 camera rig (3dx360)

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm quite sure it is possible to solder trigger buttons from two PCBs together... I mean direct electric connection of contacts...

I guess so, in looking at the photos it looks pretty wonky, I wonder if I can get gitup to do a board for me...
    I'm curious about your MOD2 for the gitup - in the 'first version' of the mod you cranked up the Mbps to 45 (1440x1080x60fps) - but in the latest one it's down to 27 - even less than the generic - can I ask why? I'm looking at using that mode for the VR and would love any insight/feedback you have. Thanks!

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Tha latest MOD3 has 9/18/45 Mbps bitrate values for 1440x1080p60.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      27 is for 1280x720p60 mode...

nutsey - right! sorry, was looking at the wrong line **>

i guess I'll get a few gitup2 and see how they are; it seems that most of these camera have the same chipset, minor board difference and same housing! why can't they just make one and make it easy! ;-)

thanks

Comment

Hi all, I've received today the first git2P (170 deg) and I am making some tests with the 360 rig.
      I started making some panorama shot but I need some info about the lens to improve the stitching process.
      Do you know this info about the camera (i found online a lot of different values):
      - Focal length
      - Conversion factor (or focal length multiplier)
      - Lens type (standard or fisheye)

Thanks

Comment

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have the exact numbers, but I know something that can be useful to find ones - GitUp and SJCAM use same 170-deg lenses.

• LBag
        LBag commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I already found the info
        I paste here for future reference:
        Details:

Lens Focal length: 4.14mm
        35mm Equivalent: 22.98mm

• nutsey
        nutsey commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe these values are for 90-degree lens. For 170 deg it should be like 2.8mm or so...

• LBag
        LBag commented
        Editing a comment
        Using these values in stitching programs and using the lens type as "Fisheye" it recognizes exactly the panorama.
        I'm not really expert so probably I don't understand the meaning of this value

Ready to fight
      I made some test with PWM cable...at first impression it seems not really stable, sometimes some camera didn't get the signal, sometimes cameras shot more than one photo, but i played with it only half an hour.
      Tomorrow I'll make some accurate tests, and I'll test the wifi option

Comment

Working...
      X