DBPower D5 - Allegedly Real 4K and Touch for Under $29 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DBPower D5 - Allegedly Real 4K and Touch for Under $29 USD

I came across this cam on Amazon for $22 and said "screw it" might as well buy and see how bad it will be. Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PBYM1BC

It appears to be an MGCool Explorer 3 clone internally and I would suspect it is based on the iCatch V50 + Panasonic MN34112.

Specs:

- Real 4K 30 with EIS (appears to be the case)
    - 14MP Still Images (they are not great)
    - 1080p 60 / 720p 120 high framerate modes
    - H264 / H265
    - Touch Screen

I'll be reviewing/testing it properly over the next few days. Here's a few initial thoughts:

-------

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191122_165035.jpg Views:	1 Size:	480.1 KB ID:	16073
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20191122_165103.jpg Views:	1 Size:	464.0 KB ID:	16074

Fairly plain box and same waterproof case as MGCool Explorer 3. I find it funny that the accessories are not packed further down, and are just loose. But I also appreciate this as it is less plastic to deal with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191122_164349.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	16075

Camera itself is solidly built but smooth slippery plastic. Feels like a $50 - $70 cam, not something sub $30.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191122_164406.jpg Views:	1 Size:	262.9 KB ID:	16077

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191122_164416.jpg Views:	1 Size:	213.4 KB ID:	16076

U/I seems to be the same as the MGCool Explorer 3 as well (kind of difficult to navigate). Buttons on the top are swapped what I mentally think they should be (the outside one is power on and mode switch, the middle one is start/stop recording).

Reserving for video samples. For now have a few screenshots from 4K EIS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d5-4k-eis.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	16080

Name:	d5-4k-eis-2.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	16081

And this last one is 1080p 60 EIS

Name:	d5-1080p-60.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	16082
    Attached Files

Comment

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      hey, nice find! When I first had the MGCOOL Explorer 3 (M/E/3), the audio and touch screen response were poor. Also, there was a kind of lack of of desired options such as 2.7k mode. So I dared to load Akaso V50 Pro firmware from "AKASO_V50_Pro_20180802_V4.rar" and everything worked great. If you are Drek' the Daring and wanting to try different firmware, you might try post #40 at this link
      https://www.goprawn.com/forum/sunplu...0916#post10916

Here are my video samples http://pc.cd/cthctalK from a M/E/3. Akaso firmware was used.

• DrekiTech
      DrekiTech commented
      Editing a comment
      Out of the box the audio is acceptable (not perfect but it is a decent volume), and the touch response is fine. I might give the firmware a shot if I can get a backup from this cam. But for now running it as is to finish testing. There is also no 2.7K mode: only 4K30, 1080p60, 720p120. Nothing in between.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      DrekiTech - got any MP4 or MOV video samples on google drive?

• DrekiTech
      DrekiTech commented
      Editing a comment
      petesimon several raw samples https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ze...eEdHaJ4756Ydy1

I think I am going to start a patreon which will give access to my google drive (and raw sample footage from cams I shoot with)

According to one YT comment it is possible to use the Akaso V50 Pro firmware on this cam, but I do not have the DBPower firmware backup in case anything goes wrong.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a bunch DrekiTech . The 4k/30 EIS samples such as D5-EIS-Sample.MOV (355 MB) are really nice, even comparably similar to 4k/30 footage from a MGCOOL Explorer 3 or Akaso V50 Pro. But the 1080/60 is hm just ~okay. Overall, it's pretty good for $30 USD.

Can the camera do h.265 (HEVC) encoding?
      Last edited by petesimon; 12-23-2019, 02:14 PM.

• DrekiTech
      DrekiTech commented
      Editing a comment
      petesimon the camera does offer H265 codec in the menu but inspection with media info seems to be just outputting standard h264 video

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      i check amazon.com today and most or maybe all listings for your D5 are changed to D2. the D2 looks like an Eken H9 or some kind of SJ4000 clone. haha 🤣

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      overall, not bad.

this cam could be very well used as a dashcam / chest / helmet / motorcycle DVR uknow for evidence.

DrekiTech : Is this DBPower EX7000 anything like the D5 ?
    It's $20 USD. Link here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MT9P9YM/

Click on the small photo ....

Name:	61R0grF2GwL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	16517Click image for larger version

Name:	71y5emwE6TL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	16518

Comment

Petesimon: I'm guessing from the photos of the UI, the tec bean camera is going to be V35 based (it looks just like the V50). But sellers have been known to bait and switch.

A little bit of sluething reveals that Tec.Bean, Runme and DBPower are all related. At least, they are being sold by the store with the same names and I know from past experience that some sellers have 2-3 different brands in order to make it look like competition.

So far my best guess:

V35: EX7000, Tec.Bean T2

I know for sure:

NT96660: EX7000 Pro, Runme R3 ( I think these two are the same camera), DBpower N6

V50: DBpower D5 (sold out)

There's also the DBPower D2 which I'm not sure about, but I'm not going to purchase as it does not have a touch screen or EIS. It replaced the D5 to steal its good ratings.

Comment

My EX7000 has arrived. Everything looks very similar to the D5 above.
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! I got mine too. When I have some free time and when the weather conditions are better, I get video 'n photo samples and will write up a full review in the /sunplus-cams/ forum. But for now, I noticed these: either White Balance on Auto or just the LCD itself is too yellow (2700K color temp), the 4k and 2.7k modes are MJPEG codec, 1080p/60 mode seems to often - if not always - be doubled 30fps, the bit-rates for 1080p/30 and /60 are way too low at around ~15 Mbps, slow SD cards ejected and re-inserted while power is ON causes the firmware to change the max resolution mode based on speed requirements of that mode, DIS (stabilization) is acceptable given the SPCA6350(?) chipset and the cam's low price but it's blurry more often than u want to see, when connecting the camera to computer through a usb hub no mass-storage/webcam/charge menu screen shows, every 6th frame in 720p/120 is a duplicate of the previous frame, of course 4k is fake and there is no DIS in 2.7k or 4k modes.

What else have you found?
      Last edited by petesimon; 01-23-2020, 07:44 AM.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I do like the bundle: a spare battery and a wrench are really cool! DIS seems to use very low crop factor to be any effective. Going to dump the firmware soon to check if it can be improved.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      *Update - Even though 2.7k mode uses MJPEG codec, the image looks acceptable for vlogging, dashcam or another general purpose. However, 2.7k mode disables Looping and disables continuous recording. Continuous uninterrupted recording should be normal for all action video cameras even regardless of Looping on/off. But in this camera, when the mp4 file of the initial recording reaches 3.97 GB in size, then the recording will stop itself. The camera will not create another mp4 file, and will cease its recording. For example, when the mode is 2.7k and the video quality is S.Fine, then video duration will be 14m and 08s long, and stop. You have to press the shutter/OK button again. Also consider this: The camera formats => 64 GB SD cards as exFAT (wiki link here), and exFAT supports files to be millions of gigabytes (GB) in size. So why the f*ck does the mp4 file not become bigger than 4 GB? ... and why heck does the camera stop recording too? Hm, so peculiar 🤔!

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Is your fw version 0.0.12? My cam hangs when I'm trying to enable 4k25 or 2k30 modes.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I measured HFOV values: 123-108-99-92 degrees (S.Wide-Wide-Medium-Narrow).

• DrekiTech
      DrekiTech commented
      Editing a comment
      I just received mine today too. Colours are quite warm tone for my taste. 1080p60 drops frames with DIS turned on. 1080p30 is fine but initial tests make the stabilization to be quite basic (similar to Campark X15 I recently tested). 2.7K30 looks surprisingly good despite being MJPG - DIS is not available in this resolution. Audio quality is a bit muffled. No freezing issues on my end w/ 012 firmware. Still photos are surprisingly great even in low light.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      Is your fw version 0.0.12? My cam hangs when I'm trying to enable 4k25 or 2k30 modes.
      yes. same firmware. my cam hangs too for 4k and 2k when i use a "Class 10" SD card or just any cheap slow card. so I tested a 64gb brown-red color sandisk extreme U3/V30/A2 card, and that usually but not always works.

the quirk is that the Looping feature must be set ON 1, 5, or 10 to do "normal" continuous recording longer than hmm let's say 15 minutes when S.Fine quality is set.

*Update - I will also try fast and slow 32gb cards to see what happens....
      Last edited by petesimon; 01-22-2020, 01:05 PM.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      No luck with 4K and 2K even using my white-golden Lexar 667x A2 V30 or red-grey Sandisk Ultra A1. Not a single cam before had any problems with these two.

• DrekiTech
      DrekiTech commented
      Editing a comment
      nutsey I was able to replicate the freezing when filming 4K issue on a 64GB Samsung Evo card. Try to film 4K/2.7K w/ a 32GB card formatted in camera and see if that works.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      DrekiTech petesimon something is definitively wrong with my EX7000 in MJPEG modes - it hangs even with no card inserted right after changing the resolution in settings.

• DrekiTech
      DrekiTech commented
      Editing a comment
      I would try to help but I've already sold mine. No room in the suitcase for it heading back to Canada

I did not have this issue though.

DBPower N6 - Novatek NT96660 and Sony IMX 078
    $29 @ https://amazon.com/dp/B07314N12V

This is the last DBPower cam I am interested in testing. All the other $20/$30 ones are quite low end.

Initial thoughts:
    - 1080p 60 is frame doubled from 30. This is an absolute shame as this camera has some very visually appealing footage in terms of colour balance
    - The user interface is AWFUL. There is 3 different ways to navigate and it is all clunky and unintuitive
    - EIS is not very effective
    - I absolutely love the voice prompt: video start, video stop, still photo
    - Battery life seems extremely poor: 15-20 min filming before it announces "low power"
    - The microphone is boosted significantly louder than other NT96660 cams I have tested. Most cams I am used to "talking loudly" in order for them to hear me but this one if I talk loudly it will peak, so I need to talk at a normal volume
    - Screen has quite poor viewing angles

If only this cam had the EIS of the EX7000 Pro / RunMe R3 and didn't double frames. Shame. The R3 / EX7000 Pro didn't have good colour balance in comparison to the N6.

Check out this butterfly I caught in a frame grab @ 1080p60

Click image for larger version  Name:	n6-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	310.1 KB ID:	16834

still image (resized down):

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020_0121_183308_001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	16839
    Last edited by DrekiTech; 01-21-2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      as you know already know, the NTK96660 + IMX078 platform combo - for example in this Extral SJ8000 clone (link here) can make good 1080p 30 and 60fps video footage.

So, do you think you could change some settings in the cam such as EV, Sharpness, White Balance or Metering (etc) to try to "encourage" the cam to make real 1080p/60fps?
      Last edited by petesimon; 01-21-2020, 10:30 AM.

• DrekiTech
      DrekiTech commented
      Editing a comment
      petesimon It must be a firmware issue, NT96660 as you said doesn't *normally* have issues with this although in the past I've had one or two cameras with the same problem on high frame rate modes. I'll play around with it and see if something will get it working.

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got an N6's OEM clone, Nothing really special and EIS is faulty.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      my review of this cam is in goprawn here - https://www.goprawn.com/forum/novate...n-touch-screen

DBPower EX7000 - (Guessing) iCatch V35 and Panasonic (??)
    $16 @ Amazon - https://amazon.com/dp/B07MT9P9YM/

Initial Thoughts
    - This camera cannot handle 1080p60 + EIS, it drops every 4th or 5th frame (similar to campark x15 which I suspected to be V35 based)
    - There is also the occasional frame drop is 1080p60 No EIS
    - 2.7K / 4K are MJPG; "4K" is not particularly usable
    - Colour rendering is quite warm/yellow
    - Audio quality is not terrible, however nothing to stand out exceptionally
    - EIS only in 1080p60 / 30. EIS is super basic (again, similar to Campark X15)
    - UI Matches DBPower D5 (although different fonts)
    - I love how loudly it beeps to indicate start recording, very easy to tell what the camera is doing when you cannot see it

EDIT: Under Effects there are "filters" I wonder if "cool" will correct the colour balance. Further testing tomorrow.

1080p frame grab (EIS on):

Click image for larger version  Name:	ex7000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.4 KB ID:	16836

Still image:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_183254.JPG Views:	0 Size:	6.30 MB ID:	16838
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DrekiTech; 01-21-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      T66/EX7000 teardown: https://fccid.io/2AM69T66/Internal-P...ho-3532272.pdf

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      can you test recording 2.7k or 4k or both each for more than 20 minutes without pressing the shutter/OK button again?

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      My video samples - http://pc.cd/KYg7 - there is frame dropping / duplicating in both PAL 1080p50 DIS ON and NTSC 1080p60 DIS ON. I suppose that PAL 1080p25 or NTSC 1080p30 may be the best "balanced" mode. Well, the cam ain't so bad overall for a $16 to $20 price tag. 😸
      Last edited by petesimon; 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM.

Originally posted by DrekiTech View Post
    - This camera cannot handle 1080p60 + EIS, it drops every 4th or 5th frame (similar to campark x15 which I suspected to be V35 based)
    Change TV OUT from NTSC to PAL and it will record 1080p50 with no frame drops when EIS is on.

Comment

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      neat tip! thanks! but urgh I guess this EX7000 camera is too cheaply made to allow EIS ('DIS') to be ON and 1080p /50 or /60 to fully work as desired. Frame duplication occurs at different intervals in the video depending on scene and light when TV is set to PAL, frame-rate is 50, and EIS is ON, Samples are here - http://pc.cd/KYg7

So, maybe true 60fps or true 50fps is possible when EIS is OFF (?).

The EX7000 is a pretty nice cam for shooting timelapses:

Same clip before YT recompession
    Last edited by nutsey; 01-21-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      It was my first timelapse experience with this cam. Next time I will use negative EV correction for sure.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      I see an AVI file from your mega storage link. but why ? 🤔

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      The timelapse was made in photo mode and rendered after cropping and resizing to .AVI using VirtualDub2.

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      my EX7000 video samples - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...osuCSlCkAGOVt7

Guys, any luck switching EX7000 or D5 to recovery (USB PC flashing) mode?

Comment

EX7000 as a dashcam in low light:

Not bad at all for the price. Going to check daylight dashcam shooting capabilities later with EIS off and on.

BTW this cam has a rec start delay (0/3s/5s) which can't be seen among almost all much more costy and advanced real dashcams.
    Last edited by nutsey; 01-26-2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      my browser throws and error for your link. so i use just " https://vimeo.com/user84515928 " and scroll up/down to find the video. 🤓

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! The link was changed.

A couple of EX7000 timelapses (1s delay, rendered to 30 fps)

Last edited by nutsey; 02-06-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      well done. I got bored today and decided to make a funny time lapse. 8 megapixels photo, with 1s delay. See the description box of the video for more information. Link here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxdFgga-OM

• nutsey
      nutsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Really cool! Looks like MTV style in late 90s

• petesimon
      petesimon commented
      Editing a comment
      Really cool! Looks like MTV style in late 90s
      Thanks! I think that this looks even more "90s" style, but it was made in 2019 ! 😸
      link - https://youtu.be/1ECbApiXg4E

Working...
X