Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to recover Akaso V50 Elite?

Hi

I have a couple of Akaso V50 Elite which, I believe, is Chipset: iCatch V50 and Sony IMX 078 Sensor.

One of them is working fine but the other one does not boot - it displays the boot logo and plays the boot up sounds but then goes into a blank screen. I have tried the standard firmware upgrade process via SD card with available firmware file "AKASO-V50Elite-20190819-V2-C" BRN file but the screen stays blank (no message about updating firmware). Interestingly, the working camera reports a firmware of 20190823-V2.

Akaso tech support have been no help, since I am in UK and I don't have original order details for the camera.

Is there any was to use the Sunplus firmware utility to try to recover the camera?

Is your faulty cam detected by a PC when connected with USB?
    Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
      Is your faulty cam detected by a PC when connected with USB?
      When I connect to PC with USB, the PC "chimes" to show something connected but nothing showed up. If the camera is turned off when I connect it, the action "wakes" the camera and it shows the boot logo and startup sound but then goes blank (on my working camera, it should go into selection menu)

I installed the icatch_2000 driver and the PC shows two icatch entries in Device Manager when I connect the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by ricardoB View Post
        the PC shows two icatch entries in Device Manager when I connect the camera.
        Does it happen only with your working camera?
        Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by nutsey View Post
          Does it happen only with your working camera?
          Not just the working camera - the non-working camera shows up in Device Manager with the icatch driver also.

Comment

• nutsey
            nutsey commented
            Editing a comment
            You can save your working cam's firmware backup and try to upload it to the faulty one.

So, I presume I plug in the working camera and use "Get" on the "Advanced" tab to backup the Firmware - or the RSV? (Apologies but I have never used the s/w before).

I would then plug in the non working camera and use "Program All" or "Backup/Restore RSV" ?

Comment

• nutsey
            nutsey commented
            Editing a comment
            Something like that. I don't have a V50 camera to try if it works or not. Seems like the backup consists of the 'A' and 'B' folders and the 'WDV4K.bin' file.

So the download from the working camera was successful, got the A and B directories, AIMG, BIMG, the firmware, etc.
          Uploading to the non-working camera seemed to go OK (no errors doing a "Program All")

but . . . the camera still boots to a blank screen.

Any other thoughts, ideas or is this just a dead camera?

Comment

• nutsey
            nutsey commented
            Editing a comment
            Try reconnecting all ribbon cables inside.

Yeah - maybe a bit of taking it apart is in order. I'm still in "discussions" with AKASO support (i.e. me saying "will you fix this?" and them saying "no" - on repeat) on the email, so I''ll maybe give it a couuple of days before I go down that route.

I think the only ribbon cable inside is the one connecting the main board to the LCD - and that appears to be working OK, since the screen comes to life. So it maybe on a hiding to nothing.

Comment

• nutsey
            nutsey commented
            Editing a comment
            It could be a CMOS sensor ribbon cable problem.

So, since AKASO have basically told me I'm on my own and won't offer any support, I went ahead and dismantled the beast.

There were 2 ribbon cables attaching the LCD to the main board.
          There were another 2 ribbon calbes attaching a smaller circuit board to the main board.
          Then there was a large ribbon cable attaching the CMOS censor to the main board.

I released/reseated/refastened all of these and, putting the camera back together, tried again: unfortunately, same result. Boot logo, boot up sound, then blank screen.

The camera is now going in the trash.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

I was able to recover my camera from a soft brick using THIEye T5 Pro Firmware through FRM/PC. If you still have it, give it a shot. I was not able to load the Akaso firmware on a SD afterwards though and it looks like I lost image stabilization. Otherwise the camera records and and has most functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by slackingoff7 View Post
              I was able to recover my camera from a soft brick using THIEye T5 Pro Firmware through FRM/PC. If you still have it, give it a shot. I was not able to load the Akaso firmware on a SD afterwards though and it looks like I lost image stabilization. Otherwise the camera records and and has most functionality.
              What was the key press sequence to boot recovery mode please

Comment

Working...
            X