Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to edit A.RO_RES.IQ.AEWINDOWSPOT.BIN and burn the changes with FRM.exe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to edit A.RO_RES.IQ.AEWINDOWSPOT.BIN and burn the changes with FRM.exe?

Hi

Looking at firmware package
    https://support.runcam.com/hc/en-us/...4/download.rar

on page
    https://support.runcam.com/hc/en-us/...g-via-computer

Is it possible to edit \A\RO_RES\IQ\AEWINDOWSPOT.BIN and burn the changes with FRM.exe (without changing anything else)

ie, edit the file, open FRM, advanced tab / locate the file and right click burn?

Or any way to improve camera metering (prefer expose the ground and trees, not the sky)?

Okay well i tried it and it worked!

The Runcam QR code settings app allows selection of average metering, centre weighted metering and spot metering.
    I was able to rename a copy of AEWINDOWMULTI.BIN found in the firmware package to AEWINDOWSPOT.BIN and "burn" that copy to the camera, replacing the existing file when prompted. Now when i select spot metering i am definitely seeing the camera operate in multi metering mode. Cool. You guys probably already know all this basic stuff but i am still learning.

Comment

Hi,
      I think that center-weighted metering should look something like this for 16x16 AE metering table:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ae-16x16-multi.png
Views:	75
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	19789

Modified AEWINDOWMULTI.bin: [ATTACH]n19790[/ATTACH]
      Donate here if you want to support my efforts and this site.

Email me if you have any offers, requests or ideas.

Comment

This is the default AEWINDOWMULTI.bin ae table:

Name:	ae-multi-def.png
Views:	77
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	19792

Comment

• nutsey
          nutsey commented
          Editing a comment
          PS: White cells are zero values.

How did you make those colorful metering tables?

Here is the default AEWINDOWCENTER.BIN in a hex editor
        It is very basic, just a rectangle in the middle, versus the one you attached.

Name:	defaultAEWINDOWCENTER.gif
Views:	24
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	19796

I have been playing around with different layouts/patterns and flashing them to the camera. I am getting much better results already. I think for the purposes of being flown on my drone, something similar to your center-weighted table will be the best, but have mostly zeros in the top third and have it be "bottom-center-weighted". The sky really likes to make everything else look too dark, especially at sunset.
        I will report back my findings

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sickgreg View Post
          How did you make those colorful metering tables?
          I use cell conditional formatting to change background colors according to values in Openoffice Calc.

Here is the default AEWINDOWCENTER.BIN in a hex editor
          It is very basic, just a rectangle in the middle, versus the one you attached.
          I used stock MULTI not CENTER table.

something similar to your center-weighted table will be the best, but have mostly zeros in the top third and have it be "bottom-center-weighted". The sky really likes to make everything else look too dark, especially at sunset.
          I'll try to modify it to get 30/70 ratio.

Comment

What do you think about this pattern?

Name:	ae-multi-30-70.png
Views:	85
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	19799

Comment

I used stock MULTI not CENTER table
              yes i mean check out the simplicity of the Runcam center-weighted table vs the center-weighted one you attached

I don't think Runcam try very hard to finish their products, same as all these drone related companies like Caddx etc.

What do you think about this pattern?
              Yes that is what i meant. I tried it but it had room for improvement

Here are some i have tried

Click image for larger version  Name:	AEcustomV4aka Nutsey.gif Views:	0 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	19806
              Click image for larger version  Name:	AEcustomV5.gif Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	19807
              Click image for larger version  Name:	AEcustomV3.gif Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	19808

Click image for larger version  Name:	AE multi V3B.png Views:	0 Size:	327.9 KB ID:	19809

This last one above is the one I have currently settled on for this camera. It is a good compromise. If the drone is flipping upside down then the sky gets exposure precedence of course but only until it returns to right way up. I can fly any time of the day now and the exposure is good 95% of the time instead of 60% of the time. I am happy with this one. It will also work on Runcam5, Runcam5 Orange, Hybrid 1 and Hybrid 2 and likely others
              Attached Files

Comment

See attached file if anyone wants to improve their Runcam sky exposure problem. Still not perfect but better.

(replace single file on camera using FRM.exe and then choose "spot" metering in the QR code camera settings app)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sickgreg; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                X